Sunday, September 19, 2010

woke up this morning and...

No headache. Whew! Since I have been sick with this cold, i cough thru the night and wake with a headache. Of course, stress probably has a small roll in it all too. I posted about my cousin's baby Lilly. Well, Friday I got a msg that my A Bev was taken to the hospital and at first we knew very little. It was very stressful. One of those moments that literally drop you to your knees to beg the good Lord for mercy! My friday started with a call from my mom. She told me that my sister was diagnosed with PUPPS. Her blood pressure was also pretty high and she is swelling quite a bit. However, her OB said they would leave it for now as the C-section is scheduled for Monday. Then mom went on to tell me that baby Lilly is not doing quite as well as we had thought. They cannot get her sodium levels to lower. And the hospital doesn't know why they are so high. In order to attempt to lower them, they had to give her an IV solution and strictly monitor her fluid intake, while they attempted to lower the sodium level. In the process, Rachel was unable to feed Lilly at all. no breastfeeding, no bottle of expressed milk, nothing. Bc it is such a delicate process, she could take in no other fluid, other than thru IV. It was nerve racking for the family. If they dropped her levels too quickly, it could result in seizures, coma, even death. If they don't get them dropped the same things could happen. Add to all this that the hospital told the family t hey have never dealt with this type of syndrome and they can't find anyone/anywhere else who has. They are going at it blind and Lilly is a pioneer. But wait there's more. Rachel's mom had to come back home because she has to work (cannot afford time off and has two pt jobs to try to keep their house). Her sister and dad are down there right now. But, Chris, rachel's hubby/Lilly's dad, has to return to work tomorrow for much of same reasons. He cannot take time off under FMLA bc he is the sole provider and they have to pay their bills. it's horrible. He will be in Port Huron, his wife and baby in Detroit, a few hours away. My heart breaks. And I want so bad to be down there for them, but i have this cold (maybe bronchitis) and the last thing any of them need is to get sick from me. So i have to stay away. I am hoping that by the end of this week I will be feeling better and able to go down there. Please keep prayers coming. For Lilly, for the family.

After my conversation with my mom, i started doing housework. I walked past the computer and noticed a msg from my A Jean and stopped to read it. She was letting us know that A bev was in the hospital and she was heading up north (about 2.5 hours). She knew very little. It was a stressful time waiting for word from someone to let us know how she got there, why she got there, and what was going on. Then we got word that she was in exploratory surgery but as the "telephone game" goes, info gets distorted. we were told that they were going to operate bc she had a hole in her stomach but the xray showed air in her chest that shouldn't have been there and they were leaning towards gall bladder issues. well, none of that added up quite right to me. A lil later we discovered she was in exploratory surgery, there was a hole, they had to find where the hole was and she could possibly come home with a colostomy bag. Wow. So much to digest in a morning. As it turns out, she has a perforated ulcer and she came thru surgery well and they will keep her a week. Please keep her in your prayers. She has so graciously given up the life she had built down state to move up north to live with gma and look after her. The nearest relative to them is about an hour away. we need prayers for a speedy and full recovery and for everything to fall into place.

On a positive note, an old friend contacted me (gotta love fb) and mentioned getting together for coffee one day after kids go to school. We have stayed in minimal contact over the years, because, while we met when we were about 4 yrs old, it turned out that several years later, my uncle and her aunt were married (My uncle Ken/Aunt lisa) so thru family functions and such, we see other from time to time. But, like most things, life gets in the way and we did not stay close. Well, about 2 yrs ago, she moved to a house down the road from here. I am looking forward to coffee time with an old friend and hopefully building a new friendship. I have let friendships go to the wayside over the years only to realize I am now 30 yrs old, my only real friend lives hundreds of miles away and I just haven't built any newer friendships. I never seemed to take the time. So my goal is to work on that.

Well Makenneh and I are making a Christmas list. I know, who wants to think about that right now. But, I want to start shopping while I have the extra money. so, I am gonna get off here and work on her list. Please keep the prayers coming!

No comments: