Monday, November 03, 2008

The big Day

We are less than 12 hours from Voting Day!!! I am tired, frazzled and ready for it to be over with. Tomorrow, we get to be at the polls all day long with our signs. Most places will not allow you to place a sign near a voting area unless there is a body with it. Stupid rule if you ask me, because it means you have to sit, all day, doing nothing but watching a sign. But, at least they are predicting nice weather for tomorrow. It's actually supposed to be around 70*. I will gladly take it. We have to take the kids with us because we don't have anyone to babysit. It shall prove to be quite exciting. Hopefully all this hard work and dedication pays off and he wins the election. If not, at least we all learned new things along the way.

I have a big paper due Wednesday night that requires critiquing a research article from a social work journal. These articles can be found online through our college's library website but the teacher insists that we must actually go to the library and find it and copy the article and so on. Not a huge deal if you have a car. A major hassle for those of us who lack a vehicle. So, naturally, it has been put off in hopes that I had a car in time to get it done. The good news: I HAVE A CAR! (i will tell more in a minute about that). I just got the car Friday afternoon, in time to come home and throw costumes on kids and go out trick or treating. The library Saturday we spent campaigning, as we have every Saturday for the past month or so. Sunday, library is closed. Today, I stop by the local branch library and talk to the man at the library. He spent at least five minutes looking it up and confirmed his initial thought: our county library does not carry journals except for the New England Medical Journal. He said to check with Mott or UofM. Nice. I just came from Mott. I didn't bother with the library there, because it seemed faster for me to use the local library. The brakes on my car need changed so I wasn't going to drive all the way back to the main campus to get this article printed. Of course, tomorrow, I will at the polls all day long, so that brings me to Wednesday, the due date. I will have to go to the campus library before or after class and make a copy of the article and then come home and type it up. Good thing that writing is one of my strong suits. May be hard to tell from reading this boring thing though.

Anyway, CAR. So, Friday, Jeremy took the day off work so we could go get a car because shortly after I had posted my blog Thursday, my check came. We found a car and bought it. It's a 94 Buick Regal Limited. It has the 3800 motor in it which is a very strong motor. It also has air conditioning. Those were the two things I wanted out of my next vehicle. So, I am happy there. The only thing is that the car needed brakes, tires, and a strut. Basically maintanance type things. We got a great deal on it, paying only half of the blue book value for it. It has 157K miles on it, which isn't bad on the 3800 motors. It should last quite a bit longer. Fingers crossed that all works out well.

Tied into that though, while Jeremy and I were out looking for a car, he was fired. My uncle asked about Jeremy's check and the boss told him that he was firing Jeremy for not coming into work that day and that he isn't paying him. Nice! When it rains it pours. This job is a seasonal type of job and every spring, the boss hires anyone, pays them cash and almost every year, the crew is different, with the exception of the few guys he pays by check. He has one guy in particular who never shows up for work, calls in saying his mom died, only to have the wife call a few weeks later asking when the checks would be available bc she had to get it before his mom did (the guy was in jail). He still always has a job. The boss has even paid to bail him out of jail a few times. Jeremy has tried calling the boss all day today to ask about his check and can't get an answer. He has being a major jerk lately for some reason. I don't know if maybe he is feeling the pressure from the outstanding debts he has with the companies he has to get supplies from or what, but he has even gotten shitty with my uncle. My brother was working for them and quit last week because of crap that goes on. I am not going to stress too much over it. I have too much going on right now. We have a car now, at least, so he can go put applications in at places. Of course, with the economy the way it is, those are scarce. Something will work out, hopefully soon.

Well, I need to get off here and start getting our stuff rounded up for tomorrow. The kids will need things to keep them busy and we need chairs and snacks and drinks and such. So, I am off here.

MAKE SURE YOU GET OUT AND VOTE!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Nelson Family of 7 said...

Christina-I am crossing my fingers and praying that Ralph wins! You will have to email me and let me know how it went! I am so excited that you got a new car! That is so awesome! I am so sorry though that Jeremy lost his job! That is awful! You will also have to email me and tell me who he worked for-sounds like a boss Jon had!!! Anyway, talk to you later! Hope that Jeremy gets a new job soon!

Nelson Family of 7 said...

Christina-I just looked and seen that Ralph didn't win. I am so sorry! I was hoping that with all the hard work that you guys did that it would turn out differently!