Monday, November 09, 2009

Falling into place

I am finally registered to attend training for MiCAFE (Michigan's Coordinated Access for Food for the Elderly). I go on November 20th for the training. I will then be certified as a MiCAFE counselor and will be able to do applications for Bridge Cards and Medicaid (and other benefits) for seniors. Having this certification will be beneficial as an intern and also for future employment. I hope that once I am certified, I can take over the client's at the other local senior center. Currently, my supervisor is taking out one day per week to go to the other senior center and do these applications. Once I am certified, I will be able to do them by myself and hopefully I can go to the other center, get my foot in the door, and maybe get an employment opportunity out of it!

Also, the director and Ruben (my supervisor) went to a Senior Center conference this past week. They returned to work today and Ruben told me that they discussed having me facillitate a class based on something they learned at the conference. I felt so good that they thought of me to do this. I am also doing the research for Ruben for his presentation he will be giving at our Pastor's Brunch. The topic is Dementia/Alzheimer's. He will be presenting on the social work aspect of dealing with this illness. I will be preparing most of his presentation for him. OF course, this all comes as things really pick up with my classes and I feel nearly overwhelmed, but I am going to adjust to life in the fast lane.

I just feel like things are falling into place. It's a slow road, but there are many rewards at the end of it.

Sebastian is doing much better with going to school. I really think that talking to the bus driver resolved the problem. He was a trooper this morning. He got up, got dressed, and was ready to go to school. No complaints, no attempts to stay home. Woohoo!

I finally found the halloween pics. I am trying to upload some right now. I will post them as soon as they load..which is taking forever.

Anyway, had a biology test tonight. I didn't feel too confident about it. However, I just checked my grade and I got a 57 out of 60. I am happy with that.

Ooh, here are some pics....

Daddy helping Sebastian with one of the craft projects...making a spider


My little spongebobMy cheerleader (I have no idea why it didn't rotate them..i rotated them before uploading but oh well...)




Makenneh and Keeley (who is my sister-in-law, Sara's little sister...they are in class together
Mom and I went to an expo at a local business (which is competition for our business) and got some ideas. While there, we entered their drawing. Well, today, we each received a phone call that we had won. Mom won some tour package (they mentioned something about alaska cruise, but she isn't sure exactly what...doesn't want to get her hopes up) and I won a package from our local computer shop. We have to pick the certificates up tomorrow. I can't wait to see exactly what it is we have won. It would be fantastic if my package is somethign I can put toward my new laptop. I actually have decided to go with the netbook because it is more compact and will be easier for carting to school when needed. I don't really care about a huge screen (that's jeremy's department...lol).

Well, i need to get to bed. I am making a cake in the morning for my cousin, Alyssa because her bday is tomorrow and we have bunco and she will be playing. She had asked me this past summer if I would make this cake for her because she loved it last time I made it. It's a heath cake and very yummy and sinful! I have to leave for school at 10am, so my day is going to be full.

Good night....

3 comments:

Julie Q said...

Such cute costumes! :)

Seb has such beautiful eyes, I'm fairly certain that boy could get away with almost anything here. ;) he he

Good luck with the senior center! You are doing so good!

Sarah said...

Adorable costumes!

And a netbook a great idea, small but efficient. We run a lot of $200 netbook specials around the holidays at pcconnection.com. Refurbished laptops get pretty close to that price point sometimes too.

Nelson Family of 7 said...

They look so cute! I am so glad that things are looking so good for you guys! I will be praying that you don't feel too overwhelmed!