Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Back to school for me!

Last night was my first class....Intro to Social Work. Today I had Social work with the Aged. Tonight I have Child Welfare and tomorrow night I have Intro to Substance Abuse. So far, so good. Today's teacher...Mrs. Lawson, is a stickler on cell phones. They are to be turned OFF (not even vibrate bc that makes noise still) and if you feel it's important enough to take a call during class, pick your stuff and walk out and keep walking. Do not come back into the class that day. IF you forget any of your things while you go to take a call, you have to wait until class is OVER to pick them up. WOW. I understand that a lot of people lack cell phone etiquette and they can be quite disruptive. Your bff calling during class doesn't require you to answer right away. SHe can assuredly wait until your 1.5 hr class is over. I get all that. I get that it is disruptive to have ppl coming in and out of the classroom taking calls. BUt, I have two small children; one of which started Kindy this year. IF for some reason, God forbid, the school or sitter needs to reach me, I am taking the call. NOw, suppose the school calls to tell me that Makenneh got sick at school. I would then call someone else to go get her..someone who lives closer and could get to her before me. I would then go back to class, because the class is only a total of 1.5 hrs, so as long as it's not a dire emergency (throwing up can be handled by gma or auntie), it could wait. SHe would be in the care of a loving family member, getting rest and all that she needs. But, with this teacher's policy, I would have to leave class for hte day and take an absence. Grrrr! I pride myself with my excellent attendance. B ut, this chick makes us "clock in and out" of class so if to add up absences. Leave 5 mins early, come in 20 mins late, etc will add up to an absence. I know why she is doing it. Some people have no respect. But, still, damn it why do the rest of us have to be punished. We are all adults, with the few exceptions of dually enrolled seniors.
End of rant.

Other than that, it's going well. I am a bit tired....the early mornings, go go go. Add to that my cousins (one or another) have been stopping by and staying rather late, keeping me up. I have been too nice and haven't said anything, but no more. I am getting too old (as the AARP app proves) and cannot hang out all night, even if it is just sitting at my kitchen table playing rummy. LOL. I am tired. Need my beauty rest.

Well, I shall get off here and get dinner started. Jeremy will be home soon and I will be leaving in about an hour or so for my next class. Enjoy your evenings! I am sure I will!

2 comments:

Julie Q said...

I am so proud of you getting back into school! :) You (keep) going girl!

Could you have the school call your Mom first, during this semester? I can also understand that teacher's feelings about cell phones. Hanna's teacher was talking to his class about them the other day. He said "I can tell when you have your head down, you are texting." And he went on to say their attention is not on him...

Nelson Family of 7 said...

Wow-cell phones are annoying but sometimes there are emergencies! Good luck this semester with the classes! I am so proud of you going back to school-you are way ahead of me! I won't be going back until the babies are in school full time! Anyway, miss you and talk to you soon! Get on messanger sometime so we can talk!