Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The rush

We are on the last week before my brother's wedding. It seems that everything is falling into place. It always does doesn't it? Funny how we stress so much about the details and usually for nothing.

I think I am done with school clothes shopping. Well, besides a few odds and ends. i want to get Makenneh a sweater and tights. I think Seb is all set now. Of course, I don't have a supply list from her teacher, so I don't know what she will need in that dept, but we already have crayons, colored pencils, markers, glue sticks. I can't imagine what else a 1st grader would need for school. the teachers usually list things like a box of kleenex, hand sanitizer, etc.

I had the most difficult time getting shoes for Makenneh. I tried Kmart, they had an awesome clearance sale on shoes...nope, they didn't fit. I took Makenneh with me to return them, had her try on several pair, going as high as 7 in womens. Nope, still don't feel good, she says. I went to walmart (their shoe selection has gone way down in the past year) and again, nothing felt right. ONe pair she was ok with, but they were 30.00 and well, if I am paying that much, I may as well go to JCPenney and get a good shoe. I was trying to avoid spending too much, because well, they grow out of them fast. But, after no luck at walmart, i decided I was headed to the mall. So, we went to JCPenney because they had quite a bit on sale. I received crappy service and was already frustrated. I was told the athletic shoes were upstairs, after hunting down an associate. I go upstairs, was greeted by a friendly, helpful associate. She measured Kenneh's foot, told me how certain brands are cut certain ways. Did you know Nike are cut narrow? Adidas are cut wider? Helpful info. Well, she said Makenneh would need about 5. The problem was, I couldn't find any wide widths, which she said we would need. Most of the shoes upstairs were Nike, none of them were really anything near younger looking. I didn't even care for most of the shoes up there. I asked about Sketchers. Bc I loved my Sketchers. She said those are cut short and that if i wanted those, I would have to go downstairs. Ugh, how come that first lady didn't tell me that? So, I head downstairs, round up an employee, ask for a couple shoes in couple sizes...and well,, nothing fit. I was on the floor, tears burning my eyes, with frustration. I go to checkout to purchase the shirts I did find for her. I asked the cashier if she had any suggestion of where I could purchase shoes. She suggested Payless...so I stopped in there. I was instantly greeted by a sales associate who offered to measure Makenneh's feet. I agreed and so it was decided that she needed a 3.5, no wide. Hmmm, I told the lady what they said at JCPenney and she said that Payless's shoes run wider. ANd sure enough. She showed us to the section and we found shoes. Makenneh tried them on and voila! They fit, they feel good. I wanted to hug that lady. And the best part is, i was able to get her a pair of dress/casual shoes as well, all for 25.00. Payless just made a customer for life or at least til my kids get older.

oh, guess what? Remember me talking about our toad that comes up every night to eat the bugs? I am sure I have mentioned Mr. Toad a time or two. Well, we found him the other day with the wheel of the chair over his back half (chair my sister brought over for yard sale)....and well, he is no longer with us. It was a sad moment. He has been coming around here for years. We could count on him hopping on up to the porch to dine under the porch light. Not anymore. There is, however, a smaller toad that had started to come around with Mr. Toad...perhaps an offspring? Maybe he (why are toads always "he"?) will begin dining under our porch light for years to come. Still sad though. Made me think of the part in Cheaper by the Dozen when "Fed-Ex" had to bury his pet frog....you remember? Pork and Beans? Yeah, this is what my life has become.

ANd I wanted this to have its own post, but damn if i can ever get to the computer nad then I was wanting to wait til the pics wer uploaded on computer. But, Makenneh has her first Harley ride the other day. My uncle took her for a 16.4 mile cruise on his harley. Makenneh absolutely loved it. She was all grins when she got back. I thought she would chicken out. Ok, honestly, I deep down hoped she would chicken out. But oh no. She donned that helmet, climbed up on that bike and rode off...as they turned out of the driveway, she let go with one hand and waved to us! There are pictures on my mom's camera, but I am too tired to fuss with it tonight..and don't usually feel the urge to battle for time on the computer. I will try to get them posted soon, though.

So, who's responsible for supplying the mixers and cups for the wedding reception? I know that the grooms family buys the liquor. For my wedding and my sister's, my mom paid for all that other stuff. The groom's family paid for the liquor. Am I correct? Just curious.

Well, my contacts are fuzzy and it's time to think about sleep. Oh by the way, we have finally talked mom into starting a wedding planning/floral business. AS soon as this wedding is out of the way, we will begin the process to get this thing going. It is long overdue and time she did it. I am excited to help and be a part of it.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

Also good to know that if you buy shoes on Payless.com, they'll ship them to your local store for free. Try them on in store and if they don't fit, you can return them on the spot. It takes a little longer than regular shipping, but totally worth it to get something harder to find (like wides).

Anonymous said...

Hi Christina! It's been forever since I've checked out your page. I lost the link when we reformated the computer but I found it through Stacy's page so I've got you bookmarked now. =)

I love Payless... it's the only store I go to when I buy any shoe for myself, Jakob, and the hubby.

As for who pays for what at a wedding, I'm not really sure. We paid for our own wedding and reception.

Sorry to hear about the frog. =( I loved that movie though. lol

Leigh Ann

Anonymous said...

Christina, Glad to hear your Mom is finally starting a business. She does such a fantastic job. With you to help organize it should do really well.

Love Mr. Toad. If he stays long enough, maybe 'kenneh will kiss him and find the handsome prince! Who believes in fairy tales!!!

One last comment on who pays what for weddings - personal opinion - when a couple have lived on their own for a number of years, they should be responsible for all expenses. Any contributions made by families could either defray the costs or allow for extras. But that is just my opinion and hey i never approached a wedding.

See ya Saturday,
Love ya,
Aunt Bev

Anonymous said...

good morning people. I'm really into shoes and I was digging for that exact brand. The prices due to the fact that the shoes were all over 300 dollars on every site. But for all I found this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I absolutely love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will definetly purchase those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon everyone. I'm honestly into shoes and I was looking for that particular brand. The prices as regards the sneakers are about 240 bucks on every site. But finally I bring about this area selling them someone is concerned half price. I in reality like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order these. what can you tell me about these?

Anonymous said...

good morning bros. I'm actually into shoes and I was digging for that particular model. The prices due to the fact that the sneakers are about 350 bucks everwhere. But completely I set this location selling them as a remedy for half price. I in reality love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what do you think?