Sunday, August 09, 2009

You Have GOT to be kidding me!

So, I mentioned on here how my uncle lost his house to foreclosure. Well, I probably haven't mentioned before that this particular uncle has a slight case of agoraphobia. Not documented per se, but he does not like to leave his house unless he has to. He even has his son do his banking. So, while foreclosure is a traumatic event for anyone to go through, it's more so for him because his home was his safe haven, his retreat, his shell. In addition, because he has a learning disability (trouble with reading/comprehension), he often asks me or my mom to assist with tasks that have to be done. One such task is the change of address. Well, he procrastinated on doing this. His "girlfriend" had picked up a form and filled it out, changing his address to her Post Office box, without consulting him first. She presented the filled in form to him telling him all he had to do was sign it. Well, he saw her PO box listed on there and said, Hell no. He shredded that and said he would get another one. Well, she had gone back in to get another one and now all you get is a sheet that tells you you have to go online or come in, in person to change your address. He gives me the paper, asking me to go online and do it for him. We figure he may need to enter his Driver's License number or something for verification. Well, I get this morning and not wanting to forget, I set out to change his address for him. I get the new addy entered and hit next. THEY WANT A FREAKIN CREDIT CARD NUMBER for verifcation. That isn't the worst of it. It says, "Your card will be charged $1.00". WHAT?! You are now going to charge me for changing my address? The amount isn't the issue, really it's not. What's a buck? WE all waste a buck here and there on silly stuff. But seriously, you take away the convenience of grabbing a post card, filling it in and dropping it in ANY postal box and tell me that this online change is "fast and accurate, safe/secure, environmentally friendly" and you want to charge me? YOu were just able to eliminate a lot of time spent on the paper process, thus saving you money, you were able to eliminate the need to provide all those papers that came in the moving packet and still, you want to charge me a buck to change my address?! It's ludicrous. And so, he will have to go in, in person, to change his address and hopefully they will allow him to change his son's at the same time (he is now 18) without needing him to go in as well. What a joke.

I know, I know, but it's cheaper to pay a buck than to waste the gas going to the post office. Doesn't matter, I think it's insane that they are even charging this buck. I know they have to charge something to verify the name/address and using a credit card serves that purpose. But, seriously, couldn't you ask for say, a driver's license #/State ID # or something? I mean, if someone stole your wallet adn wants to mess you up, they are going to have credit cards if they have your id, most likely. Silly.

/end rant

enjoy your day. It's supposed to be in the 90s here today, with high humidity. I don't really care because all I can think about is my hubby coming home tonight. He will be boarding the plane at 8pm. Please pray for his safe return!

4 comments:

Julie Q said...

I think they would just put $1 on for 24 hours, then put it back. The gas stations do that to verify the account when we use our cards to buy gas. So have other businesses and things. I had to do that when Zachary set up a yahoo email address even. It was because he was a minor and they wanted to make sure there was an adult around knowing he'd set that up. I could be wrong, but...:)

Anyway, I hope your hubby has a safe, uneventful trip home today! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm from North Carolina, and just recently moved. They do indeed charge your credit card $1 and as far as I know they do not reimburse you. I think this is utterly ridiculous but I guess this is the way the Postal Service operates.

Paulette

Nelson Family of 7 said...

Wow that is crazy! I hope that he is able to get it all taken care of at the post office!

Anonymous said...

Dear Christina,
this is Nicki!! Did You get my letter and email? I wasn´s sure if it´s still the right one!!
Love, Nicki from Germany!!