Tuesday, January 30, 2007

a new designer is in town

LOL. Ok, maybe not really. But, i must say first, that my sister designed her own wedding dress. She had an idea of what she wanted and couldn't find anything that was even close enough to settle on. So, she started sketching what she wanted and now our Aunt Bev is going to make the dress.

Well, as I had posted before, i had found a pattern for a top that I loved. And we then found the exact color of fabric we needed in the clearance section for 1.00 a yard. So, we figured we could have my dress made as well. I mean, we got the pattern for the top for 2.88 or something like that and that only requires like 3 yds for the top. So, then not much more for the skirt part. Well, then, we thought it may be a bit much for aunt bev to make her dress and mine, so we went looking today. YOu know, they just don't make any formals for fat girls. All those dresses are designed with a size 6 in mind. I am sorry, but even someone wearing a size 16 doesn't want their chunk sticking out while they stand in front of lots of ppl in the church. My very plus size ass really don't want my chunk sticking out everywhere up there. LOL. It seems strange that as the media and news and whatever blasts out that "America is getting fatter" the clothing lines seem to ignore this fact. It is thrown in our faces all the time that we have such high obesity rates, yet there is no clothing for us fat people. The lady at hte dress shop said that she can't keep plus size dresses on the racks. She said that most of her brides are size 18 and up. Yet, the dressmakers forget the fat people. We truly are invisible, unless someone wants to sneer, make jokes or otherwise poke fun at us, or condemn us for being fat. So, i told Carrie that she should design dresses specifically for fat girls. You know,s omething that accentuates the breasts maybe, flows freely over the belly, doesn't cling skin tight to the hips.....ya get my drift. In a material that isn't clingy, but rather free flowing. No low backs that show the butt crack if you happen to bend over.....yeah they make dresses like that. OMG! I was like, that back is too low. I wear granny panties that probably come up higher than that....lol. OK, so that was a bit of a joke, but still, it was very low in the back. N obody wants to see my rolls on my back. I promise, they don't.

Well, anyway, after A. Bev read my post about going dress shopping, she emailed to say that she thought she was making my dress! Well, it would be ideal! I just don't want her being overwhelmed. Carrie's dress is most important and we don't want to put her under pressure. But, we may decide to go that route, if she is sure she is up to it. It would be much easier. Then, we could have carrie go back to the sketch pad and draw up something nice, that will match her wedding theme, and yet not leave me to stand at the front of the church looking like a fat cow. LOL. Ya know, i don't have the fear of sleeveless, like a lot of women do. But, by Gosh, please cover and conceal my rolls! I know I have worked effortlessly to put them there, but please, for the love of mankind, cover that stuff up!

So, I will keep everyone updated on the dress progress! I did find 2 dresses that I could maybe wear half decently. But, the other issue is, there is no way to try said dresses on until i have paid for and ordered them. That scares me. It's ok for slim girls to do that. but us fat girls need to see how that dress is gonna hang, cling and show off our faults. lol.

Onto the next item ...lol. After going to the dress shop, we had to go back to my parents' so mom could switch vehicles, bc dad needed the car for work. Well, we get inside and before I could even wipe my feet, dad asked me, "How are the kids doing and how are you doing?" Hmmmm...that's his way of making ammends. He's also being very nice to mom. The tires keep going low/flat on the van, so while we were out, he took it to the tire shop and got all new tires on it. N othing says "I'm sorry and I love you" like a set of brand new tires...hehehe.

Well, im off here for now. Gonna try to get to bed early. Mother in law (Chris) called earlier asking if i could bring a bunch of stuff to her in the am. Ya know...the shampoo isn't exactly top rate in those places...lol.

4 comments:

The other me said...

Go to the body shop and buy some ginger shampoo, that stuff smells great and kils the lice and eggs dead, i tried every lotion under the sun, ran out of every shampoo but my lovely ginger stuff, used it and those nots fell off! every single one!!!
What a few days you have had. Hope MIL gets better soon!

The other me said...

I meant nits not 'nots'!!LOL!

Anonymous said...

Christina, I am so sorry that you are going through so much right now. I remember going through that as a kid and have been so worried about it now that Adrianna is in school. Michael has short hair but Adrianna has that long beautiful hair and I know that it is just so tempting to little bugs. I keep it braided or pulled up every day that she goes to school just so there is less of a chance to get it--so far I have been lucky! I am glad that you and your dad are doing better. I need to get my butt on the phone and give you a call but I haven't been much of a phone person lately--too hard to hear with all my kids and the only time I can call the states all the kids are home!

Julie Q said...

I hope everything works out with the dresses Christina.

Your Dad sounds so much like mine at times.

Is your MIL still in the hospital?