Saturday, September 19, 2009

Managed to survive that trip

I forgot how hectic the roads can be down state. Add in construction, mixed with some impatient, inconsiderate idiots and well, it's disaster waiting to happen. Almost happened to us. I was following my sis, driving along just fine.....then, brakelights....slow, slower, STOP. Construction. The 3 lanes squeeze down to one. Probably wouldn't have to be a huge problem is people would read, yes read, the signs that say, lane ends. The flashing arrows, I just know these people can't really miss them, can they? But, instead, everyone tries to stay in their lane, speed ahead, cut over. slam on brakes. Well, we were about out of the construction zone (well, if there is really ever an end) and started to pick up speed. Now, by pick up speed, I mean, instead 15mph, we were heading up to say, 25 mph. Then, all of a sudden, everyone's locking up brakes. I had to swerve to the right to avoid rear-ending car in front of me, as well to avoid being rear ended by car behind me. Well, come to find out (bc sis was several vehicles ahead of me), that some guy drove down the shoulder of the expressway to try to cut ahead. Meanwhile, as they approach an exit ramp, some car swerves at last minute to get off, this shoulder-driving idiot cuts behind my sister, because the shoulder ends, and he is going too fast for the whole 25mph speed the traffic is doing...so he has to lock up his brakes. My sister thought for sure he would hit her. WEll, his cutting over and locking up brakes caused a dominoes effect. Idiots!

Anyway, we survived it. The party was nice. The deal is, my mom's cousin and her husband took temporary custody of their neice because the state stepped in and removed her from her mother. She was about 12ish when this happened. My mom's cousin (Ann) has had her since. They finally finalized the adoption and so it was cause to celebrate. Well, the girl, who is now around 14, stood up to say a few words...that left no dry eyes in the place. It was the most beautiful thing...she explained that two years ago, aunt and uncle gave me shelter, fed me, bought me clothes and provided me with everything I needed. She said she was so thankful for them. Then, she turned to aunt and said something like, "Aunt, thank you for being the best mom I have ever had. Uncle, thank you for being the dad I never had. It feels so good to have a father I can count on (paraphrasing)." Anyways, this girl's speech was amazing. So heartfelt and full of appreciation. She mentioned how nice it was to have a family, to have the things she needs, wants, etc. Everyone cried. Such a happy moment.

On the flip side of that, Desiree rode down there with me today and was talking. She mentioned that Brian (our uncle she lives with) made the comment that 'technically, we aren't your family'. YEah, I am pissed. For those who may not remember, Desiree was adopted as a newborn, from teh hospital in which she was born. It was a private adoption and my aunt waited and prayed 30 some years for that girl. She is every bit a part of this family. AS much as I am. We may not share the same dna, but we share a bond. Blood isn't all that makes up family. I thought, what a heartless thing to say to a 13 yr old who has been faced with enough loss, discourse, and upheavel in her short life. I told Des that "technically" he's wrong. You are family. I also told her just how much her mom wanted her and how she prayed, and held onto faith and didn't give up. I kept reassuring her that her mom wanted her more than anything in the world. She has been talking to her biological grandparents and siblings. She wants to visit them and they want her to visit. They live in KY. Her oldest sister is coming up here in Oct to see old friends and they plan to meet each other. I hope that this is the beginning of bonds that will help see her through. The sad part is that she has a family down there who want her and she is here, living with a family who doesn't seem to want her and make no effort to assure her otherwise. Not to mention, she has no gparents here...she has 2 down there. Her gma asked herif she wanted to come live with her. But des told me she doesn't want to move out of state bc of her friends and family. I told her she didn't have to, but if she wants to visit that is absolutely ok and I will advocate for her on that. She has a right to feel wanted, loved and cherished. Every child has those rights. Michelle and brian said she can visit but they are leery bc they don't know them. Well, prior to my aunt's death, she had been in contact with them on a regular basis and they would come up here to spend time with desiree. That went on for the last couple years of my aunt's life. So, they aren't complete strangers to des. She remembers the times she spent with her grandparents when they were up here.

I jsut worry so much about that girl. She brought up today that she hasn't seen or heard from her dad in about two years. What do you say to a child? I told her that someday, he will see the error of his ways. Some day, you will be able to show him the woman you've become and all he has missed out on. But, I reminded her that no matter what, she needs to always do her best and not let this bring her down. The better she does in life, the more she proves him wrong. Because, that's part of what I worry about. That she will be aversely affected by this selfish pigheaded man and she will let it interfere with her life. I told her that we cannot control other people's actions, but we can control our reaction to their actions. Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

Sebastian starts school on Oct 7th. They are having an open house on the 5th. He was pretty shy with the teachers who came out to the house, but towards the end, he started to warm up. It is so nice to have the opportunity to meet with them one on one because it gives you the opportunity to explain little quirks, go over concerts and all that. I think it makes the transition to school easier. I am nervous about how he will do at first, but I know once he gets into the routine, it should be okay for him.

Well, I have had a long day and I am ready to wind down and crash! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

3 comments:

Julie Q said...

The ride to take Amanda up to her college twice a week (at times) goes down to one lane. :( Oh it's just like you described. I hate it. I try to leave a lot of space between the car ahead of me and my Betsy. ;)

I'm glad you made it safely there.

Hard to believe your baby is off to school! I hope he enjoys it. :)

Desiree must be so confused. I'm glad she has you to talk to.

Anonymous said...

Glad you made your trip safely, prayers for Desiree,and I am betting that Seb will blossom in school.

Love ya

Aunt Bev

Nelson Family of 7 said...

Wow-Christina-I was so far behind on reading your blog. I guess with getting ready for my vacation and then being on vacation it made me miss alot that is going on with you! Sounds like things have been going good and I am excited for you and the new school year for all! It is so neat that the kids are acting so well! I understand the feeling of wondering when hte next fit comes and praying it doesn't! Also praying for Desiree! That is so awful what your Uncle said to her! I wonder if he realizes the damage that it has done! It is so good that she has you. I know how much you love her and how excited your Aunt Dawn was when they got her! I remember seeing all the pictures when she was little! Hope all continues to go well!