Saturday, September 12, 2009

One week down

We have all survived the first week of back to school. Everything went pretty well. I has a rough day on thursday though. Did i post about this yet? Well, if you start reading and it sounds familiar, feel free to skip over it....

I bought a planner from the college bookstore, as I have every semester. I buy the one with the college logo and all that jazz because it has lots of useful campus info, including a school calendar with important dates. Well, my handy planner said that classes start on September 9th. Cool. I go to school on Wednesday....biology. No big deal. Thursday, I get to class and see Casey. He is in my bio class. We start chatting and he asked...did you miss tues or just sign up? WHAT? Yeah, come to find out, classes started on the 8th, so I missed a day of school...3 classes. So, I have been trying to keep caught up. I just feel as though I have missed so much. I think I am mostly set. The worst part was missing my Social Work class...I emailed the instructor and he informed me that most students already have their placement choices. He emailed them a choice of 3. So, I had to bust a move. I called Ruben at the senior center, asked if he was interested in having me back and of course, he was delighted. LOL. So, I emailed the teacher back, told him, emailed him the field work placement request and he said that ruben needs to email him to request me and tell him what new things I will be doing/learning. So, I know it's a weekend but I emailed Ruben anyway, hoping he checks his mail first thing monday morning and gets that taken care of. I asked him to call me when he got the email to let me know, but I will probably call him first thing monday morning to be sure. I don't want to waste any more time. I have to do 20 hours per week to pass the class. I have monday and Wed from 10 til 430 and all day friday, which translates to 10-6. If need be, I can come in Tues from 3:30-6 and thurs from 230-6. It will leave me almost no time for homework/studying. I am started to stress about that. I just hope that the other classes I have this semester go as easily as the ones I have had up to this point. My head spins every time I think about it. I know I can do it, because many have done it before me. But, it doesn't change the fact that I feel overwhelmed. I have a couple writing assignments due this coming week which I haven't started. But, I plan to work on them a bit tomorrow and then Monday. They are pretty easy assignments, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Matt and Sara got home from their honeymoon, although it's not "over" yet. They came home early because they got 2 tickets to the Michigan v. Notre Dame game. So, they went, as part of their honeymoon. OF course, after the game started, i had an amazing idea....they should have made a big sign that said, "We are honeymoonin' at the BIG HOUSE!" I think it would have been cool..and they probably would have gotten on tv, too! LOL. But, it was a great idea, too late. The game was great. We watched it on TV. Ok, honestly I mostly didn't watch it...but I caught bits and pieces and I listened to quite a bit of it. It was very nailbiting. But, they pulled it off.

Makneneh loves school. She hasn't been much trouble at all in the mornings and I hope that continues. That was one thing I dreaded about last school year. But, we pick her clothes out the night before and that eliminates a lot of trouble and saves a lot of time. The couple papers she brought home that she has done in class were good. I was happy to see that.

Tomorrow is Jeremy's birthday. He will be 32. Funny, when I went to type his age, my finger was off so it came up as 21. I am sure he would love that. He was planning to spend the day fishing....but then he realized the Lions are playing football and wants to watch that. So, who knows what he will end up doing. He already got his bday gift from the kids and I....Madden 10. I will make him a cake and get some ice cream (he loooooves ice cream_...i was thinking of an ice cream cake...but that may "ruin" the ice cream for him..he loves to put peanut butter and chocolate syrup in his ice cream and mix it all up. Don't ask about his arteries...they are no good, I am sure. I am trying to think of what to have for dinner...want to make something he likes. We had steak (his fav) not even a week ago. OF cource, he would never complain about steak twice in a week, but the pocketbook would. We'll have to see.

Mom and I are going to a class on starting a business, offered by the small business & technology development center on Friday, the 25th. It will cut into my intern hours, but I can make them up, as the class is only a few hours long. I think we will get some valuable info and so it's worth it. The hardest part is pricing. As far as the planning goes, there is a lady near the area who does complete wedding coordinating for $200. At least, we have heard that from a friend of my sister in law. I don't know if she is telling the whole story or what. Because for the amount of work that goes into complete coordinating, the lady has to be working for pennies/hour. There is just no way that $200 compensates you for your time. You are taking about arranging all the services...from church to hall, to dj, caterer, etc.....meeting with bride multiple times to assist with things, being present at the churh and hall teh day of, making sure all runs smooth. Lots of leg work, lots of calling, lots of running....i don't see it as profitable at that rate. So, we are going to check into that some more. IT's not a huge deal, because, the floral part is the main concentration. We don't want to do complete coordinating for weddings all the time. We will do it, but the main this is, helping brides (or anyone planning an event) get organized, stay on track and save money every step of the way. Then, we will offer the flower service and also decoration rentals. So, there are plenty of aspects, that full coordinating doesn't have to pull the weight of the company. But, it still boggles me that this lady supposedly does all that for only $200. She must be bored and just need something to fill her time. I don't know.

So, as you can see, I am quite busy, have an overflowing plate and xanax anyone? I may need some! LOL. Breathe. deep. ooooooh. count. to. ten. LOL.

Well, I am going to finish up on here and get to bed....

Happy Birthday to my dear Husband....

3 comments:

Julie Q said...

One down, many to go! I hope you catch up Christina. :) I'm betting on you! :)

Do you know someone that can call that lady and pretend they are shopping around for a wedding coordinator?

Happy Birthday to Jeremy! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, i know how you feel about school, i am still trying to catch my breath from starting school and i didn't miss the first day. Hope you overcome the stress factor. It just burns the energy you'll need to get back on schedule.

Glad 'kenneh is enjoying schoo. Will Seb be going to preschool?

Happy Birthday to my favorite nephew, Jeremy, hope the Lions give him a gift of victory!

Love you
Aunt Bev

ps find out the $200 wedding planners name, call her posing as interested in her services and get the details. Then you will know what the competition has to offer.

Sarah said...

I don't miss my classes, especially the fast-paced ones. A semester's worth of information in 7 weeks? Miss one day and you're up a creek. Hopefully you'll get caught up quickly.

Maybe the $200 is for a wedding plan (proposed theme, color, flowers, location, invitation ideas, etc), but not the actual coordination of those things. Definitely need some detective work to figure out what your competition is including.

I could see your Mom starting out by providing budget friendly options for brides who don't have the time and/or talent for a DIY wedding, but can't afford a traditional wedding planner. She earns her pay by finding bargains and using her creativity to get a big impact for a little money. Flat-rate packages for up to a certain number of hours, then an over-time rate for high-maintenance brides that make changes or muck things up.