Thursday, February 21, 2008

head spinning

So much homework, so little time. I have a test in Psych tomorrow. I am happy to say that I have completed both of the chapter review sheets that we can use for our test. She said we could take and use notes...but I don't know if I am going to get that far. I have put it up for the night and we will see how much I am able to accomplish tomorrow. Then, after I get this test out of the way, I have to get right on my Philosophy/ethics paper. Then, once that is done, I have to start working on my multicultural project (yeah, i have another of those to do this semester for my sw class-programs/comm. welfare). This time, we didn't get to pick our topic, but rather draw one out of a bag. I drew American Indians, but traded to get African Americans so that I can work in my aunt's group. She drew African Americans. Each slip of paper contained 3 areas to cover. That way, the group work is already broken down with each person already assigned their part. I like that idea for sure. In addition to this, I must also continue to work on Psych project, which is frustrating me. i cannot find a scholarly article pertaining to parental status and hours spent studying. You would have to think that someone, somewhere along the lines has studied/tested this. But, i am finding nothing. So, i may need to change it up a bit. But, the proposition is due tomorrow night, so not much time.

I got another 100% on an assignment in Human Sexuality. This was our 2nd paper and it was about advertising and gender roles. Yay, me!

On a very positive note, my dad was called back to work today. They called him this afternoon and he could have started tomorrow, but they have no car. Theirs died (motor) and they still owe on it. However, even a used motor for this car is astronomical, so idk what is going to happen. They don't want to buy another car, as they are still making payments on this dead horse. They have a car my sis gave them but it needs a fuel pump and computer for sure, not to mention whatever else he will find after putting in a new computer and the scans actually show up problems. The car sat for several years and well, that is very hard on cars. And the car is in general rough shape, mechanically speaking and dad has to drive to Novi, which is over an hour from home. So, he needs reliability. Doesn't have to be fancy or anything, but reliable is a must. The best part about him being called back is that they won't lose their health insurance. When their new contract went in effect, it was stated that when you were laid off, your insurance would run out at the end of that month. So, he was laid off in Feb, meaning at the end of hte month, they would no longer be covered. Mom is on several meds, including blood pressure pills, that she can't be without. So, it has all worked out. I am sure the car situation will as well. There is so much I could say about this but i don't know how late I wanna be up. LOL. The thing is, my brother has a car that is sitting at my parents' house. It just needs a few minor things and dad said it would be the cheapest to get on the road. Well, my brother has wish-washed with giving the car to them. He has a car right now and just sold one. They manage an adult foster home so someone has to be home at all times, when clients are home. They can't just up and leave on a whim. So, really, they don't need 2 cars, because, well, someone always has to be home with the clients. brother and his gf are doing well for themselves financially, especially considering all bills are paid (no rent and consumers, house phone, groceries are all paid by the company). On top of that, they get a monthly salary for doing it and my brother works two jobs, one being UPS. So, anyway. To backtrack a bit (I so need to get this off my chest, so bare with me). My dad and brother went snowmobiling last winter (as they have done every winter before). The one sled blew up, so they went to a dealer and my brother decides to buy a brand new sled. Only he needed a cosigner. Dad cosigned (without consulting mom) and the loan is done through a line of credit with the snowmobile dealership, like a credit card, i guess. At any rate, the idea was my brother would, what's the word....refinance, there...refinance the loan, in just his name. Well, he hasn't and the worst part is, by dad cosigning on such a large loan, it over-extended their credit, thus jacking up the interest rates on all of their credit cards, raised their car ins. premiums bc they are now considered high risk bc credit is over-extended and a few other repercussions. All this and dad gets laid off. their cc bills have almost doubled with the high increase in interest. They are drowning. Mom got a job (that is killing her bc of the stress level, i watch her deteriorate every day, i swear) to help with the bills. Brother seems to live in oblivion in his own world and it just frustrates me. Our entire lives, our parents have sacrificed every thing for us! Everything! They have gone above and beyond their responsibility as parents to do for us and help us out. Yet, in their time of need, when brother has the means to help them out (by way of letting them get his extra car on road and use it at least until they can get one) and he won't. He says yes, then changes mind. At first he said they could have it in exchange for dad fixing his truck (another vehicle of brothers that is sitting at our parents'). Dad was ok with that. Then, he said he instead wanted to trade my mom's sled for it...well, my mom's sled is like brand new, very low hours on it and worth a few thousand dollars. This car is worth maybe $700. Not a fair trade at all. So, mom said hell no. by this time both mom and dad are feeling very hurt. dad, who is not an emotional person has been reduced to tears several times by my brother's seemingly selfishness. THE CAR IS SITTING, NOT ROAD READY, AT OUR PARENTS' HOUSE DOING NOTHING, WHILE MY DAD COULD GET IT ON THE ROAD AND BE USING IT. I don't get it. Meanwhile, I have a POS car that is falling apart, with well over 200k miles on it and I let them use my car whenever possible to get mom to and from work or for dad to things he needs to do, pay bills, run errands, get parts for other cars, whatever. I have sat here many a nights without my car so that they could use it. No problem. I figure it's the least I can do. I just wish that I were in a position to do more. IF i were my brother, that car would be theirs, no doubt, no strings, nothing. I guess, from a general pov, my brother doesn't OWE them anything, but I think the right and decent thing would be for him to let them borrow car at least. I mean, dang. But, he has hurt my parents so many times lately that my mom has said she won't take the car now if he just gave it to them, no strings. My heart breaks because I just know all that they do for us "kids" and well... What can ya do? I put a call in to Jeremy's friend who works for a tow company bc his boss will sometimes get cars that ppl don't pick up or owe impounds on, etc and he will sell them pretty cheap. Hopefully they have something. Otherwise, I have no idea how he is getting to work on Monday. And the worst part is, I have class on mon and wed..but i might have to let him use my car and just find a way to my classes. IDK. I certainly will do that if it comes to that, but i don't know if my car would even be trustworthy enough to drive that far. It's still not completely fixed from the last episode, as he hasn't been able to find the part and seems how i only drive short distances, it isn't really an issue right now.

With dad going back to work he has to close up Papa Daycare. He has been watching Sebastian on Mons and Weds for me, while I go to my afternoon class. I now have to find an alternate solution. I do have a few or at least a couple possibilities. We will have to see how things work out. Mom came home in tears today and she never did say why. Well, we told her the good news about dad going back to work and she still was quite upset. He held her and was asking questions as to why she was crying and he asked if she had a bad day at work (she has many, that's a subject i will get into another time) and she said yes. He asked if she quit and she said no and he said, well you can now. I really hope she does. This job is not worth the toll it is taking on her emotionally/mentally. She is being "railroaded" by her supposed best friend....who is her boss. It's just a bad situation all the way around. She gets dogged so bad at work that customers even notice and comment on it. One threatened to go give the "friend"/boss a piece of her mind. she was livid at the way friend was treating my mom. so, yeah, the job is not worth it, imo.

Well, this has turned into a lengthy post. And sadly, i have more things I could talk about. But, before I go, I do want to thank Julie for the info on antivirus sites. I did borrow norton from my uncle, but it's saying it can't connect with liveupdates and it's just not working..idk what the problem is. I did just dl the program Julie told me about and we will see if that works. hoping it does..or at least that something does. And it's not dl right. says some files are corrupt. Grrr. *bang head against wall*bang*bang*bang*

Oh and Leigh...I do not accesserize at all, either. I have had my ears pierced since I was 5 and the last time I think I wore earrings was for my wedding, almost 4 yrs ago. I own one jewelry box and it's one that my gpa had gotten me the last Christmas he was alive. It is mostly empty. Some foreign currency, odds and ends and now one necklace. LOL. I have no fashion sense...just give me a pair of jeans and tshirt, thankyouverymuch. Beyond that, I can't coordinate and I can't keep up with what's "in". So, I don't try. I have been wanting to be a bit more "fashionable" i guess you could call it. But it takes too much money and time. I can shower and be ready in 15 mins or so, if need be. Who has time for all that dawdling and primping before a mirror? But, a very small part of me wants to get into wearing makeup (beyond the basic foundation to cover breakouts and eyeliner) and wearing cute/stylish clothes. I did buy myself a new outfit right after we got our taxes back. It is a lime green top with black trim and a pair of pin-stripe black dress pants...do ya know what I'm talkin about? I have wanted a pair of those pants forever. I never got any because I wasn't sure I would wear them...but this outfit is absolutely cute and the neckline on the shirt really calls for some kinda necklace. It scoops down a bit and leaves the chest bare (not the breasts, people....lol) One of these days (after viruses are gone and all) I will wear it and take a pic to post. Maybe! I said the outfit was cute, i didn't say I was cute in outfit. LOL.

Ok, pry my fingers from the keyboard....I can't stop. I love the whole typing thing. I could type for hours on end.

Good night!

3 comments:

Julie Q said...

You said your brother helped you put your computer together? If so, does he still have the windows edition he used?

A complete wipe would clear up all viruses. I hate doing that, but sometimes you have to.

If you can't, I hope one of the virus scans works for you. When we had too many viruses, we had to download a different browser. The IE one wouldn't go to certain websites like Google. Anyway it was the foxfire one and it worked great. It's free if you need it. :)

That is great your Dad got called back to work! I do hope he is able to get a car soon!

I saw on the new last week about credit card companies doing that to people. They are trying to make it so they can't if the payments are made on time. If they have made the payments on time, they should call them and ask why the rates went up. Explain their situation and see if they will lower them. That is what they suggested on the news. I will look for the story and if I can find it, I will email you the link.

Leigh Ann said...

That's kind of upsetting to hear about your brother not helping out with the "extra" car. Wow. I don't know what your relationship is with him, but can you knock some sense in him or what?! I'd be peeved. Isn't it common sense? Your dad needs a car and he has one available. The very idea that he's negotiating what he can get out of it (dad to fix truck or for your mom's sled) is getting me upset as I type this.

How awful to see your mom get stressed out like that. Any job isn't worth that. Remind her that when she and your dad are retired, they'll look back at these times and laugh. God has a plan for them.

I want to see a pic of you in that outfit! Sounds sharp! As for not knowing what's "in" as far as fashion, we seem to be in the same boat. On the other side of the coin though, it's good to treat yourself and make yourself look nice. It makes you feel better about yourself and your self-confidence shows. I must not have been in line when God was passing fashion sense out.

BUT you sure were in line for the smarts! Great job on your paper! Sounds like a lot of stuff to do, but so worth it when you graduate. You go girl! :D

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.