Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My sister might have her "gettin' tires" shirt...

So, we have this little joke in our family because my sister had to go get tires for her truck (this took place a couple years ago). Well, the day she happened to go in to get the tires, she had worn a lower cut top (nothing trashy, but certainly wasn't a turtleneck). Well, she ended up getting a good deal on her tires so she joked that she will have to start wearing her "gettin' tires" shirt more often. LOL. Well, today, my mom took me to college and hung out in the lounge for the 17 mins it took me to take my test. We left the college and headed to the junk yard to get the part I needed. I walked into the dark, chilly, damp, smelly office and told the grubby guy that I had called earlier about a radiator fan assembly for a 94 dodge intrepid. The other grubby man went in search of said part. I stood there waiting, afraid to touch anything. I was wearing a soft baby pink sweater and felt rather delicate, even at my very large size, when standing amidst all these grease and grime. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, grubby man number 2 appeared with this big part that was for me. It looked like a greasy model of those window fans you would use. The grubby man number one asked what price he had quoted me on the phone. I told him $45. HE said, "No, i couldn't have. Are you sure?" I said yes. He got out a slip and asked my phone number and then asked again about the price. I was beginning to think he was gonna try to get one over on me bc I was a female. THen, he asked how much money I had. I was taken aback by this. What the hell? I mean, this junk yard isn't located in the best neighborhood. A few years ago, the owner of one those shops was shot down right in front of his business. I said, sarcastically, "oh lots....not". I had seen him write $25 down on the sheet but i figured that was just part of the cost...He says, "how bout $25?" I was like, Oh sure! So, yeah, i walked out with my greasy grimy part and a shit eatin grin on my face. My sister may have her "gettin tires" shirt, but I have my "gettin radiator fan assembly" shirt. LOL. I know this had to be a good deal bc one of the other yards I called quoted me $70. So, that's why i went with the place was cheaper. ANd only to get an even cheaper price. So, I am happy aobut that. Hopefully, tomorrow, Jeremy will spend Vday getting my car fixed. LOL.

Back to the college expedition. I woke up to my mom sitting here in my living room this morning. I was quite shocked. But, it was kinda nice to wake up on my own and not to a disaster out here. Both kids were up and loving the fact that gma was here to great them in the morning. I liked having help with getting the kids ready for the day. We ended up being ready with about an hour to spare. The kids hounded up that entire hour, "when is it time to go?" They aren't used to that much spare time. We took Makenneh to the bus stop, got her on her way to school and headed to college. We arrived almost 45 mins early. We were just making good time. I sat in the lounge with my mom and Sebastian until it was time to leave for class. I left them change for the vending machine and Sebastian had a book and a car. I took the test and it only took me about 17 mins total. I was back to the lounge and my mom couldn't believe that I had already taken the test. I'm quite sure I aced it. The answers were almost obvious for most questions. One question about the researchers who made sexuality a norm to be studied had this as one of the choices for an answer: A. Obama and Clinton. C'mon now. Unless you live in a bubble or under a rock, you know that isn't the answer. the other 3 choices were almost as obvious, at least to me. Process of elimination made most questions easy to answer.

So, I felt a bit better about today. Things ran smoothly and the day flew by. I had my aunt pick me up for my class tonight, bc she has the same class. It is my social work class and the teacher is a social worker in one of the local school districts. She has her Masters in Social work. Well, before class, I went up and asked if having a Masters in SW would enable me to be a counselor/therapist. Sure enough! So, I have finally decided on a career path. With a Masters in Social Work, I can have so many options. There is an entire page listed with possibilities. having this degree would even qualify me to be mayor! lol. (not that the degree is necessary, but makes me qualified, kwim?) So, anyway, overall, today was a good day.

Oh and after the junk yard expedition, we went to walmart. My mom was picking up a few things for dinner tomorrow and I decided to do the same. Jeremy loves Lasagna, so that's what I will make for him. I also picked up one of those Sara Lee Cheesecakes from the freezer section. I know, totally cheating...but with classes, I don't have time to be Betty Crocker. Or gumption, one of the two. At any rate, he will be happy. I have class tomorrow night, so we aren't doing anything too special. I really don't get into valentine's day much like I used to. Growing up, mom loved vday and she always made a big deal out of it. she would decorate the house, pack little love notes in my dad's lunch, leave lipstick love notes on the bathroom mirror, things like that. When i became a teen and had a bf, we made a big deal out of it. I probably spent as much on vday as i did on Christmas. I loved all the pink and red hearts and the candies and flowers and romantic things of the season. Then, i met Jeremy and well, every day really is like Valentine's day. Well, most of them anyway. I fall in love with him deeper every day and I have that mushy kinda love for him all the time. WE still flirt with each other and show our love all the time. So, i guess, I just didn't see the need to get so wrapped up in the day and get upset if he didn't present me with some wonderfully expensive gift or something. Knowing that he is there for the rest of my life is all the gift I need...hallmark won't benefit much from me. LOL. Except for my weakness for greeting cards. OMG, I can't resist the mushy ones. I simply can't. So, i had to buy him one. And one for each of the kids and one for my parents from the kids. So, I did spend some money. Oh and I got each kid a cutesy vday stuffed animal that was 2.97 each. A "hornicorn" for Makenneh (aka, unicorn) bc she loves them and a monkey (need I say more) for Seb that whistles when you press the little button. Of course, Kenneh caught gma bringing the bag in and spotted her hornicorn right away. I had to give them their gifts..she was sooo animated over the hornicorn. Then, we sat down and did her vday cards for her classmates and grandparents and I cooked dinner and off to school I went, without enough time for my own dinner. Thank God for leftover chili when I got home.

Oh and my uncle kept calling today and always at the worst times (trying to get kids out door for bus, on my way to school, etc). He finally talked to my mom while I was in the junk yard and told her that we could move in to his place...i guess he is desperate to get her moved out. He had offered this before, but wanted us to move in there in hopes that she would get frustrated and move out. I refused to be the bad guy. I told him if he wanted to tell her to move out and we do a switch, then that was ok. But, otherwise, no. So, i guess he is ready. I didn't get to talk to him myself...so I don't know. And Im not one hundred percent sure we want to make that move either. It would be better than at my parents, bc it is a more laid back atmosphere...but sometimes, it's too laid back. LOL. Anyway, I guess we will see how the cookie crumbles. Jeremy didn't seem to eager to do it, but sometimes, he over complicates things. I mean, we need to move and the sooner the better. It has gotten to the point that when my uncle calls, i cringe bc i know he is calling to passive-agressively let me know that he wants her out meaning we need to move out. It drives me insane. I want the whole thing over so i can move on to the next chapter in my life, hoping for better times.

I found out from my aunt tonight that our refund checks from college should be dispursed around the 18th of feb, which is about a month sooner than I thought. She talked to someone directly in the Financial aid dept, so they probably know more than the registrar's office. I am hoping that is right. Sooner, the better.

I'm mostly just babbling, i suppose. I love my blog...a place I can put all my scattered thoughts. They certainly need some outlet.

2 comments:

Julie Q said...

It's a great place to babble! :) I mean, er, put thoughts down! :)

Woo hoo on the car part! I hope it works well for you! That was really nice of them to give you a deal on it. I am glad the sun was shining today. I know it is cold to work on a car, but it could be so much colder!

Happy Valentines Day!! :)

Leigh Ann said...

I love the story behind the gettin' tires shirt... and now you have a gettin' car parts shirt. Too funny!