Monday, February 25, 2008

Up and down

I was looking in the list of posts and noticed this was just saved as a draft and i don't know how that happened that it never got posted....so, seems how it isn't that old, i figured i would post it bc some of you may be wondering about how the dinner went or whatever. I will update stuff at the bottom.

Where to start first? Well, the most exciting part of today is that I called my brother in law for help finding the scholarly article I need for my Psych research project. I had been searching on my school's database for days (spending at least 4 hours total, broken up over days, of course) trying to find an article. I finally located one the other night that would be perfect, however, it wasn't available in full text format through my college's library. I clicked the link to see which libraries had it and the University my brother in law attends had it. So, I called him and he went on their site and located it and emailed it to me. I just printed it off, all 16 pages of it, and will now be able to move on to the next step of reading it and summarizing it. Whew! That's a huge step done. I was also able to get more of my test review done for Psych. Of course, in writing this, I just realized that my Midterm exam for the social welfare programs class is WEd and I need to also spend some time on that. The good thing there, is that we get to use any and all notes, including the power points the teacher gave us!

So, on to the family dinner. I could almost be mad at my mother! She had asked what time we would be there and suggested, in the same breath, around one. Ok, sounded good. Except that we get there and she hadn't even put the turkey in. Then, after a couple hours and neither my brother nor sister showing up, I asked what time she told Carrie to be there. She said she didn't know. I called sis after awhile longer and sis said mom told her 4! I was like, wth?! I had to laugh, but also wanted to scream a bit. My kids were being monsters...Sebastian very whiny and Makenneh very demanding and mouthy. I was ready to pack up and go home before this point even arrived. Well, Sis gets there and we figured Matt wouldn't be there until closer to 5 or 6 because he had a wrestling tournament with Collin (his gf's little brother). Well, we called around 5 and got no answer, so we went ahead with dinner. LEt me back up to say that I decided to arrange for cake and ice cream in his honor seems how his bday is Tues. Well, anyway, we finish dinner and clean it all up, still no word from Matt. We call again, leave yet another message. My mom, sister and I play a game of Apples to Apples and still no word. Finally, dad comes out and says, well, I guess we have cake and ice cream without him. By this time it is 7pm and dad and Jeremy both have to be up early for work, we can't wait forever. So, we took pics of the cake and all and even lit the candles and sang happy bday for ridiculousnesses sake, I guess. LOL. Then, we had our cake and ice cream and got ready to go. Makenneh really started. She wanted to play Aunt Carrie's guitar and she didn't want to go home and we couldn't make her and Never and the works. She climbed under kitchen table and held on to a chair leg. Jeremy had to get down on his hands and knees and actually pull her out from under there. This wasn't the first case of battle with her for the day, either. By this time, Jeremy and I were both fit to be tied. She is a big girl and it isn't easy to wrestle around with her. She kept tightening up and flailing around and refusing to stand or do anything, so she got a swat on her butt. We had to "drag" her out the door, crying as if the world was ending. She refused to sit in her seat and Jeremy had to physically get her seated properly and buckled in. It was just a horrible time, all the way around. We got home and she was better. I think some of it has to do with the fact that she knows my mom will give in to her. So, she acts accordingly. My mom had tried to step in and "save" makenneh during the last fiasco and was upset that Makenneh got a swat. My dad spoke up and said, "hey, they have been trying to get her to cooperate for some time know and frankly if it was one of our kids, I would have spanked them already." He reminded her that she has to stop stepping in/giving in, etc. But, we got home, got settled and everything went fine. She even got ready for bed with ease and we snuggled on the couch and watched one of their movies. She fell asleep without a problem, even. Of course, I dozed off a bit ago on the couch and now I will probably be up for awhile. Agh!

Oh and remember the static in my land line? Well it has cleared up. By some miracle. I had bought a new phone, but even before it was hooked up, the old phone was clear. it is so nice to be able to use the phone without the crackling and static. I can actually hear the other person.

And, I woke up this morning to laundry going and Jeremy had cleaned. He put away dishes and picked up and vacuumed and folded some clothes and hooked the new phone up and I was so very happy!

+++++++++++++++

Now, for todays post, which is to me, still Thursday, the 28th, despite being after midnight....

I had my second Psych test tonight. I got 100 percent on last week's test but don't think i did "that" well on this one. Sure it's still a decent grade, but not perfect.

We had Makenneh's field trip today, to the Children's Museum. My mom and sister went with us, per Makenneh's request. WE had a good time. My sister took pics on her "old fashioned" camera so when she gets them developed, I will hopefully post some. AFter that, we went to the farmer's market.

I am exhausted again tonight and could just as easily crash, but I have so much homework yet to do. I made a list of everything that I have to do and woah, it's quite a lengthy list. I was able to cross one thing off. Tomorrow I will have to hit the books. My brain is too mushy for any of it tonight. I think i am going to head to bed very very soon!

Take care and enjoy the extra day this year!

2 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I'm sorry to hear that your brother and family didn't show up. Did you ever find out why or what happened? How disappointing.

I've been meaning to take Jake up to the Children's Museum but just haven't yet. Sounds like you guys had fun!

Julie Q said...

Sorry to hear your brother didn't show up Christina. Darn boys! I hope you all harass him so he will show up at the next family meal.

I don't know how Amanda gets homework done when she's home. She almost prefers to do it here than at her apartment. Anyway, :) I hope you were able to get some studying done.