Monday, December 15, 2008

Finally a Christmas Tree

I finally put the tree up today. It was a matter of deciding to go with my artificial one or getting a live one, as my parents usually do. Then it was a matter of me going to storage to dig out my tree. I had forgotten that the only tree I have now is a small 4.5 ft tree..until I got it out of the box and put up. No big deal really....it works out better anyway. The kids weren't that interested in decorating it. They put a few on, but mostly, left it up to me. It is done and the lights are shining. We just wrapped my nephew Kaden's present and put that under the tree. We will see how long that lasts before I have to hide it until closer to Christmas.

I seem to have petered out on my crafting. I still need to make candles and have been putting it off. I have to get it done very soon, as I am running out of time. I have class tomorrow and Wednesday nights and Makenneh's class party on Thurs morning. Other than that, I think I am free. This Sunday we are going to my brothers to make cookies. Christmas Eve we are going to my father-in-law's and my brother and his family are coming here to mom and dad's. I was hoping to be able to be here for most of the time that my brother was here, but my father in law called yesterday and we decided on 4pm because he has to work that morning. OH well, it is what it is. Christmas day we are staying here and my mother in law and brother in law are coming here for dinner. Otherwise, they would be by themselves. That works out because that means on Christmas day, we don't have to go anywhere. I am not going to know what to do. I might feel slighted though. It will be the first Christmas that I don't go "somewhere". Growing up, we always went to my grandparents on Christmas day for a huge family dinner. It was the highlight of the holidays. Gathering a couple of your favorite presents and hauling them to grandparents house where we could play with all of our cousins. That's why I never get these parents complaining about not wanting to have to take kids to a family member's house on Christmas...and that Christmas is all about the kids, so they should be home, to play with their toys, etc. My favorite memories involve getting up Christmas morning, opening all our presents and then deciding which two or three to take to grandma and grandpa's house. We didn't return home til late Christmas evening and I don't regret that. The best memories were made while at grandma and grandpa's house. IMO, i can't understand why parents would want to rob their kids of spending chaotic holidays with extended family. THAT, to me, is what Christmas is all about. Of course, there are often logistic problems that prevent all families from getting together every year...but the people I hear not wanting to get together are ones who live near family. THat's one more reason I am so excited that my sister is having a baby. Our kids will get to enjoy that same fun Christmas tradition that we did. My brother's son won't be included in most of the family holiday fun because they are at her mom's. It is kinda sad that he will be left out, sort of, but that how the cookie crumbles. Really, mostly by my brother's choice, though. His fiancee's mom lives about 5 miles from our parents' house, so really, they could make it work, if they really wanted to. They could spend one half of the day there, and half here or something. But, they didn't choose that option. Instead, they will spend Christmas Eve's here, but of course, my sister and I are unable to be here on Christmas Eve, because we have other obligations. My mom isn't handling that news too well, but there isn't anything anyone can do about it, so you just have to accept it and move on. The girl's family usually gets the majority of the time. In my case, it is certainly true, but mostly because of the dynamics of his family. He isn't too close with his mom and his dad usually does stuff with his gf's family on holidays. So, for me, I have never had to really make a choice. I usually just include mother in law in my family's celebration, because she is single, with no small children at home. She would otherwise spend holidays alone.

Wow, what a ramble about all that.

The snow was gone when I got up this morning. There are little patches of it here and there, but for the most part, it looks like spring out there. Doesn't feel like it though. The wind is whipping like crazy. Stacy had said in comment to my last post that she hopes the snow sticks around for her kids to have fun in when they get up here. It is gone for now, but it most likely will snow again, before they get here and probably even while they are here.

Well, I am sure the little monsters are getting into trouble, so I am gonna get off here and tend to them.

No comments: