Saturday, December 13, 2008

Weeeeee!

We took the kids sledding yesterday. I had to go to my college to sell back a book and right nearby is the park where Jeremy always went sledding as a kid. So, it was his idea to take the kids sledding. They had a blast. I stuck around for a bit and watched, then headed to the college to take care of my business. I returned to find two happy little kids with rosy cheeks. They had had so much fun. Makenneh started to get a little bit whiny, but she also isn't feeling well. I was thinking hot cocoa after a cold afternoon out, but the kids wanted ice cream! Yes, crazy I agree. So, that's what we had when we got home. I didn't take pictures, because I forgot to take a camera.

I am looking forward to the weekend warm up. The temps have been so ungodly cold. The past several days have had highs in the teens. Tomorrow it is supposed to be 40. I can handle that.

Tonight is another family Christmas party..my mom's side. We aren't doing a gift exchange, just getting together for food, family and fun. Everyone is supposed to bring a favorite game and we are going to play games for the evening.

I got my books for next semester yesterday while at the bookstore. I am so excited. It's always exciting to get the new books for my next semester. I really wanted to buy a new book bag, but I just can't bring myself to spend the money, especially when the one I have works. It's just old. Like 18 yrs old. You can't really tell...it's just a plain dark blue bag with lots of nice compartments. The only sign of age is some wearing at one of the seams. It's amazing really because if you buy a bag these days it wouldn't last nearly that long. I admit, the only reason I want a new one is because I would like something bright and cheery and maybe even colorful. But, at the bookstore, the bags range from 65.00 up to 100.00. That's crazy. But, that is where the bag I am using now came from and it has proven itself to be worth every dollar spent on it.

I had our field trip Thursday for my substance abuse class. We went to the local residential treatment facility. I was more than amazed with the offerings of this place. They house addicts who are wanting to recover from their addiction. They turn nobody away. They have men, women and women there with their children. It is publicly funded and they don't force anyone out (unless it's behavior related). As long as someone is serious about treatment, they can stay as long as it takes to get well, even though funding runs out after a year for any one resident. While in treatment, the patient's needs are all provided for. They get everything from shampoo and deodorant to any special requests that are reasonable. The women there with children are provided diapers and formula and whatever other baby/child related needs there are. The facility provides transportation to all appointments no matter how far away they are, they provide counseling, have a nurse practitioner on sight, Bible study, and more. I was just so impressed and touched by the wonderful program. While there, we got to hear two ladies tell their stories and it brought tears to my eyes. Then we went on a tour of the facility. THe building is old and surely could use some reonnovations, however, it seems the money is put into the patients, mostly, which is a good thing. THe best part is, this facility has a 98% success rate. That is very good. But the program is very structured and that contributes to a high success rate.

I have two classes left for this semester...tuesday night is my exam in intro to social work and wednesday is basically just a pot luck for child welfare. We also have to submit our commitment plan which is a plan we have to make a difference somewhere. We have to provide the who, what, where, and when of our plan. It could be volunteering, organizing, helping a mom with respite care, anything that helps out someone in need.

Well, i have babbled enough for one session..lol. I am gonna go finish my rounds on here and then work on some Christmas crafts.

Have a fun weekend and stay warm!

1 comment:

Nelson Family of 7 said...

Christina-it sounds like the kids had a lot of fun sledding! I know that you are sick of it but I hope that the snow sticks around so my kids can enjoy it as well! We will be traveling there a week from today! I hope that things continue to go well for you guys! I got the picture of Makennah today-thank you so much! We went and got our pictures taken today-I have them on my site so you will have to go and check them out. I have a family picture for you that I will give you once we get to Michigan! Anyway, talk to you later!