Monday, February 23, 2009

Third time's a charm

Really it is. Sooo, I wish we would have had a videa camera Sunday evening. Makenneh asked to be baptised Sunday morning. So, it was set for her to be baptised Sunday evening. She was so excited to be baptatised as she says it. I did explain to her the process and that she would be slowly dunked under the water but that it would be okay because the pastor would be holding her and he would keep her safe. Well, towards the end of the Sunday evening service, the preacher comes to me and says I can take Makenneh back and get her ready. We get her all robed up and ready to go. I once again remind her of what will take place. Okay we are good to go. We walk up the steps and pastor is already in the water. He reaches for her hands and slowly guides her down into the water. The water reaches about her chest. He addresses the congregation that Makenneh has asked to be baptised and then he turns to Makenneh and asks if she has accepted the Lord as her Savior. To which she proudly proclaims yes. Then he says what he has to say just prior to submersing her. The last thing said is, "...in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost." As he says "Holy Ghost" is when he would submerge her. MInd you, for anyone unfamiliar with this process, she is to have her arms folded over her chest. So, here we go:
Preacher........"....in the name of the Father, the Son and the HO=-"
Cut off as Makenneh reaches out with a death grip on the side, not so trusting to go under the water. Everyone laughs. He laughs. He starts again. The procedure has to be repeated. He gets to the part of dunking her and Whoah! Hand goes out to save herself again. I am squatted down, near the water, telling her it is okay, she has to go under. It will only be for a second. Finally, on the third try, he was able to get her under the water. Whew!

It was an emotional day for me. I stood next to the baptismal water crying. Sunday evening's service was quite a deal because in addition to Makenneh being baptised, my dad was ordained as a Trustee. They ordained the deacons and trustees. Afterward was a pizza party. My cousin Kenny, who was just baptised a couple months ago, came and brought his little brother and also Desiree. As we were eating pizza, Des said she wanted to be baptised and asked what she had to do. I told her she had to be saved and directed her to my dad. He talked to her for a moment and then the preacher was seated across from us and my dad told him, so he took Des to the other room and talked to her and she accepted Jesus. She is being baptised next Sunday. It made me cry because my aunt Dawn would be sooo absolutely proud and happy. I guess she still is those things. I am sure she is beaming. But it's sad that she can't be in there helping Des get changed and ready like I just did for Makenneh or that she can't be there on the sideline watching up close. But, truthfully, she probably has the best seat in the house, from Heaven.

So, I went on my first in-home assessment today, as an intern. It was cool. Would have been much better if I had felt better and my nose wasn't so stuffed up. OF course, these older people keep the heat on super high, so that didn't help. But, it was cool to have the experience and Ruben let me take the notes and do the paperwork when we got back to the senior center. Pretty neat to be putting the things I have been learning to actual, real-life use.

The semester is nearly half over with, hoorah. I am worn out. I am ready for the break. Of course, it stinks because I really think I only need that one last semester to be done at the community college, with my social work technician certificate (associate's degree). Woohahahha!

Ooooh and did I mention that when my mom and Ralph went to the convention in Lansing this weekend, they were able to talk with our Secretary of State and he told her about Jeremy's license situation. She personally said to have Jeremy contact her office, give his info and she would work on getting his license. She stressed that as long as alcohol was not involved, she should be able to do something. I am so happy. He called and did that today and please pray that this works out and he can have at least a restricted license for back and forth to work!

and more possible good news - a friend of ours contacted Jeremy on yahoo to tell him one of his friends works at a shop nearby that is going to be hiring. I emailed the friend Jeremy's resume and it was taken in today. They expect to hire a few guys this week and Jeremy has a good word in for him. Again, please pray that this works out, as it is decent hourly wage, plus overtime. And about 30-40 mins from home, so not too bad.

And with all that, we found a house for rent, right around the corner. It is only 2 bedroom, but the one bedroom is huge! The best part is that the river runs through the back of the property and there is 2 acres. Jeremy and the kids can fish all summer long. The monthly rent is 600.00 and that is not bad at all for a house, especially not water front. The downfall for me, besides only 2 bedrooms, is that I strongly dislike the school district. I almost refuse to allow my children to go there. So, it would mean leaving her registered at my mom's address and driving her down here for the bus and then picking her up. It is only five mins away, so totally do-able. So, once again, say some prayers. I have applied for additional student loan funds and it is really dependant on that going through. We would pay up about 10 months worth of rent and be left with a bit of money in the bank. That way, irregardless of the job situation, the roof would be over our heads and it would give us some time to get it all together. Of course, we would also be able to eliminate our storage fees so that would help as well.

I told Jeremy that with all this great opportunity before us, I really believe this may be a turning point for our lives. THe answer to all our prayers lies right before us - his license, a decent job and a home. It's all right there...sooo close. I really hope it works out.

Well, it is very late and I need to get to bed!

Take care

2 comments:

Julie Q said...

So close you can almost taste it as the song says.

I will keep extremely positive thoughts for your family Christina!! :) Good luck with everything. Especially the license. How nice of Ralph to ask for Jeremy. Your family sounds very supportive of him. And that is really nice. :)

Afrin for a stuffy nose. I can't believe I lived without it for so long. Trust me on this! :)

Nelson Family of 7 said...

Oh I just wanted to cry when you wrote about Des! I pray for her often and I hope that her life is looking up! At least she knows that God loves her and is taking care of her mom! I am so excited about all the other news with Jeremy's license, the job and house! I am praying for all of this and please update as you can on how it is going!