Friday, December 14, 2007

Ho, Ho, Ho!


I had actually forgotten, but our park was hosting a Christmas Party for the tenants, yesterday. I was reminded, as I was leaving to go to the bus stop and saw Santa and Mrs. Claus in the parking lot! I actually got the giddy Christmas magic kinda feeling. Sebastian, eh, not so much. HE wasn't quite sure about this ol' man in a red suit. But then again, he is shy with every new person he meets, until he warms up to them. So, it was to be expected that he would behave that same way with the jolly man in the red suit. Santa and the Mrs. waited outside to greet all the children who got off the bus. I thought that was real cool. How many kids can say that Santa was waiting for them when they got off the bus? THen, we all went inside the clubhouse for pictures with Santa, cupcakes (which had the most delicious frosting on them and decorated so beautifully), hot cocoa, punch, candies and other little goodies. WE got in line to sit on Santa's lap and then after that, had our cupcake and drink and off home we went. I still had class and had to finish making my cheesy potatoes to take to class. But the kids liked it. Sebastian even managed to sit on the man's lap without a melt down. He did give his classic "Sebastian" scowl, too. So, I was able to knock one more thing of my Christmas to-do list. The kids have seen Santa, sat on his lap and even got their picture taken with him. And the best part..it was free!

This morning, i awoke to my phone ringing. It was Makenneh's teacher reminding me that they would be here for the home visit (aka parent teacher conference) at 1:30. Today. OMG. I wanted to freak. No note sent home this week to remind us, nothing. This place is trashed. The week leaves little time for upkeep on house work. The bare minimum gets done. The weekend is when cleaning occurs, for the most part. OMG, i can't believe i have a few hours to get this place presentable for her teachers. Meh, then i realized, i am human, i have a very busy life, complete with two young children and while some people may manage to keep their homes spotless and Better Homes and Garden show-ready. This momma doesn't roll like that. LOL. We live in our home. We make messes, we sometimes leave them for later cleaning. OH well. Take it or leave it. it isn't (i had actually posted this saying it *is* filthy...oops, what a typo, glad i caught it) filthy, you won't get some unknown disease from visiting or even sitting down. Unless maybe you come from one of those spotless BHG homes. Perhaps then your immune system may be too weak to handle anything less than spotless. Hahaha. So, i picked up the living room and vacuumed. i picked up the kitchen, cleared the table and counters, wiped them down, put my mountains of laundry safely behind my closed bedroom door and voila! Not too bad. Oh and i plugged in my candle warmer thing that melts the candle and gives off nice smells....currently, Country Apple from White Barn Candle Co. So, it smells delicious in here and it is kinda clean. Now, of course, i have 2 hours before the teachers actually arrive, so what happens btwn now and then is well, a different story. But at this point in time, all is clean and almost organized.




And just look at this handsome boy! Complete with a butterfly bandaid on his face. Why? Because, while you can't actually see it, he is part monkey. The part monkey that he is, is the part that causes him to want to climb high, swing from things, etc. The part monkey that he isn't, well, is the part that allows real monkeys to do those things with grace. THe result? A boy child who thinks he can climb like a monkey, but who actually doesn't have the means to do so, safely. He is always climbing on the back of my couch (which is currently placed in front of the backside of my kitchen counter. the counter that separates the kitchen/dining from the living room. Well, we have gotten after him time and again for doing this. He insists, and does so every chance he gets. Wednesday evening, as I was sitting down to scarf down some dinner before rushing off to class, he was climbing up on the back of the couch. JEremy was at the counter, fixing his plate. Low and behold, Sebastian lost his footing and crashed down, hitting his head on the counter along the way. It was the most horrific moment in my history as a mother, thus far. Jeremy rushed around and scooped him up and all we could see what blood. everywhere. it was horrible. Jeremy let this sound escape his lips that was somewhere btwn a cry of horror and fear and a wail. I rushed to the bathroom to find no damn washcloths. So, i grabbed a thin towel and got it wet. All the while, i was freaking out bc my mom was at work and what would i do. what should i do and damn her why does she have to have a job? I realized dad was home so i called him in a panic and asked him to come quick. We put the towel on Seb's head and held it there, applying pressure. I removed the towel for a moment to reveal a gaping gash. But the bleeding had slowed way down. Within the 1o mins or less it took my dad to get here, the bleeding had stopped. And Sebastian had quit crying pretty much the moment Jeremy picked him up. I called Shane, a guy who is in my English class, to let him know what happened and ask that he tell the teacher. Our final paper was due that night and i didn't want to fail the class over one paper. We decided we needed to take Seb to the after hours and so my dad took Makenneh and off we went. On the way, i called our doctor. He called right back and said not to let them stitch it, as it is too traumatic and seems how the bleeding had stopped in a timely fashion and the gape was only about a quarter inch, steri-strip would be best. Just something to hold it closed while it heals. We got to the after hours clinic and they were supposed to open at 6. Well, we waited until almost quarter after and no staff members had shown up yet. So, we decided to go get the strip to do it ourselves. After all, that's what our doc said to do if the clinic wanted to stitch it. So, what a night. We went to walmart, had the pharmacist help me pick out what i needed and off we went. We got makenneh, put the butterfly on Seb's head and i headed back out the door to class. Which, i arrived at around 7 and found only two girls in the glass. The teacher let class out at about 620. So, i just had to hand in my paper and get back the papers he had graded.

I have decided that this boy is going to be the death of me. My gosh, he has no fear, what so ever. I had to cut away some of his hair Wednesday night, to keep it out of his wound. So, i ended up cutting it the rest of the way last night. I am not overly happy with it, but hey, i am not a hair stylist and never claimed to be. It's decent. Can't ask for much more.

Well, time to finish things up around here and get lunch done and out of the way before the teachers arrive. Bleh! Talk about a monkey wrench in my plans for the day!

1 comment:

Julie Q said...

Hi! :)

I hope the conference went well.

I can't believe how big the kids are getting! So tall! Poor Seb, at least he wasn't crying though. Zachary still won't sit on Santa's lap.

And yes, boys can surely scare you at times! Actually it was my first girl and my first boy that did those things. :) I'm glad he is doing ok now. That is such a scary moment for a parent.