Monday, December 10, 2007

May I?

Toot my own horn, for just a moment, or ten? I had two speeches to give tonight. The persuasive speech gave me fits preparing it. Every time I practiced it at home, i choked. It was horrible. I was so afraid to give it bc i just didn't think i would be able to pull it off. I practiced it last night several times, with better luck, but still not the ease with which my other speeches came. But, time is of the essence and i was running out. So, i put it away and went about my business. Tonight, I got to class and gave me speech. I received a very positive reaction from the crowd (aka my classmates) and also from my teacher...I got another 100%. I am soooo damn proud of myself. NO matter how bad i choked at home, when i got up to that podium, it all flowed rather smoothly. Perhaps I am a natural at this public speaking bit. haha. Go figure.

Then, I had to give my ceremonial speech. I cried when giving it at home. OF course, it was late at night and fatigue played on my emotions as well. But, i got up there and gave my speech...a tribute to my dad. I turned it into a Father's Day Tribute. I managed to keep my emotions under wrap...my teacher had tears in his eyes!!!! Everyone loved it. The best part was, when i walked back to the teacher, he asked me if he could keep it. He then said that he has a friend who works for our local paper (Flint Journal). He wants to ask his friend to print my tribute for Father's DAy!!! In the newspaper. Not just the small hometown paper, but the big journal that most ppl in our country receive. I was so honored and proud. Not to mention, what a great Father's Day gift for my dad! And he is so deserving of such a special gift.

I also must add that when i got my speech review paper back (a paper i had to write, reviewing a speech I watched), he had written a note on it, asking if he could keep it to use as an example for other classes. He had written at the top, "Well written. Great Job." I cannot contain my excitement.

I feel almost like a celebrity. My work being used for future classes, printed in newspapers, etc. Wow. And to think all these years I was shy and intimidated by the very thought of standing up to give a speech. Needless to say, my grade should certainly be a 4.0 in this class. The few points i missed on tests were made up in an extra credit assignment I did.

Enough of my bragging. BUt I do have to add: going back to college is by far the greatest decision I have ever made. I have never felt so accomplished, worthy and proud as I feel now. I feel like I can do anything. Not to mention, i have a social life again. It is just a win win situation. With only one week of classes left, I am actually feeling a bit sad at saying goodbye to the friends I have made in each of my classes. Oh and i must say...homework is out of the way, except for math class. Wooohooo! A breather, at last. No big speeches to prepare, no projects, no English papers. Whew!

Tomorrow night is our Christmas Bunco. We will exchange gifts, have a nice meal and of course, play bunco. I always love our Christmas bunco. I have to go tomorrow to get my gift for the exchange. WE just spend $10, so nothing big.

And since I have tooted my own horn, I must now toot Jeremy's. LOL. Seriously, though. HE deserves a lot of credit. I am so proud of the man I married. It's just the little things, mostly, but they mean the most. Almost every week night, he comes home from work and is rushed to get his shower in before I have to leave for class. He tends to the kids each night, dinner, baths and keeping them out of trouble. And to top it off, he doesn't complain when i go out after class. He has been so supportive of my decision to go back to college and it has just made everything so much easier. I really expected him to get frustrated with being alone with the kids every night. Mostly because, he has never had to do it before. But, he has proven me wrong. He takes the bull by the horn (and trust me, these two can be quite the bulls) and does it without complaint. And he even cleans sometimes. Bonus!

And while I am giving credit where credit is due, I must also say that my mom and my sister have been a great help in my endeavor to return to college. Without them babysitting SEbastian, this wouldn't happen. Or it would be extremely frustrating worrying about babysitters. So, while it is my hard work earning the As, it is their hard work behind the scenes that really makes it possible!

2 comments:

Julie Q said...

Wow. Wow. Wow.

You are doing so great!!!

Congratulations!

And woo hoo to your hubby.

I honestly have tears of happiness for you.

Anonymous said...

Will be watching the Journal online to see your article/speech. I am very proud of you and your husband. But as far as the speech making, am not surprised, you have always been able to express yourself in a coherent,concise manner.
Love you, Aunt Bev