Sunday, March 22, 2009

Just the two of us

Today was a great day. The kids had stayed the night with their grandma and Jeremy and I had the day to ourselves. We got up and he did some maintenance on the car while I did some homework. Then we got ready and headed out. He wanted to go to flea markets. He just loves doing that and I don't mind either. We went to two different ones and just wandered around, looking at the treasures and trash people had for sale. I didn't find anything I just couldn't live without, but had a good time, just being out together. Then, we went to Applebee's for dinner. I had to laugh because we sit there, just the two of us, and barely say anything. IT was a comfortable silence, but funny. He was watching something on one of the tv's, I was watching something on one of the other tvs. We did talk, just not a lot. Of course, we see each other a lot each day, so there isn't much to "catch up" on. NOt to mention, when I am eating, I prefer to just eat. Look at me and you will know this. LOL. I have to note that the service was over the top. Maybe too much so. The waitstaff is all giddy and over-friendly. She asked how everything was/can I get you something every few mins it seemed. IT beats crappy service any time, but it almost bordered on desperation or something. It wasn't just our server, because I hear the servers around us doing the same thing. I am sure it may be part of a tactic to encourage people to come back and spend their money. Either way, she did get a good tip, because she did a great job.

AFter dinner (which was a bit early) we came home and he watched the Michigan State basketball game while I curled up next to him and slept for 2 hours. It was quite nice. Every now and again I was jarred awake by him blasting curse words at the tv. My heart would leap for a moment until i recalled where I was and what was going on. LOL. Then, I would doze right back off. The kids came home about 7pm in poopy moods. They were both overtired and it was evident. They did finally go to sleep, after arguing over me, each wanting me to sleep with them. OF course, it would be too difficult for all of us to sleep together, because well, Makenneh doesn't want a crybaby in her bed. NIce, then perhaps she shouldn't sleep in it either, because seh was doing a fairly good job at being a crybaby herself. At any rate, all is well that ends well. I still have my sanity. I think.

Friday night Makenneh and Jeremy went to the daddy/daughter dance. It was a last minute decision. The school didn't bother to send home flyers until like Wednesday. By then, we had already received an invite to one of her friend's bday party. And I had already RSVPd. So, we were going to the party. The party was 7-9pm and the dance was 6-9. See the problem? Not to mention, we really don't have the money for a dress, shoes, etc. And never mind the fact that Jeremy doesn't own dress clothes. He detests them. But, thursday night she cried because she really wanted to go. I couldn't tell her no. I knew it would be special memory for the two of them. So, I spent all day Friday running around finding a dress, shoes, picking up clothes for Jeremy (my brother-in-law loaned him his, whew) and otherwise preparing for the busy evening. I go to have her try on the dress only to discover that it was the wrong size. I somehow managed to grab the wrong size. So, in a hurry, had to run back to store and thankfully I thought to have her come with me to try on the dress. Because the one in her normal size didn't fit. We had to choose a completely different dress. But, we got it and got back home and just had to rush to get out the door in time. I dropped them off and had to come back home to get a change of clothes for Makenneh because I didn't want her playin in the play area at Mcdondald's in her dress. They stayed at the dance for an hour (which was plenty of time for both of them, really) and then it was off to the bday party. By the time I came home, I was tired.

That's just the abbreviated version. I didn't mention the call I got from Makenneh while in checkout at walmart. She was crying so hard i could barely understand her as she says something about daddy not believing her and she didn't do it on purpose and now i can't go to the dance and I just wanna go and I promise, i am telling the truth. I had to tell her to calm down and slow down. Finally I had Jeremy get on the phoen and then I jus ttold them I would be home in a few mins. Come to find out, the bus driver talked to Jeremy and apparently Makenneh hit her friend and the bus driver was going to write her up and she would probably be kicked off the bus. GREAT. Of course, JEremy overreacted, yelled at her, told her she was grounded. Well, my belief is you have to at least hear your child out. Especially because the tears were quite real. She sounded very sincere in her plea. So, we sat her down and asked what happened. She explained that she and Alexis were looking at her library book and when she went to close it, it hit her in the face. Very plausable as her library book was quite large and hard cover. I am calling bus garage in morning to talk to the bus driver. As I talked with the mom hosting the bday party, I learned that the bus driver did same thing to her daughter. I am thinking that perhaps this bus driver doesn't much like the little ones and/or doesn't know how to properly deal with them. Some of her tactics are a bit much for 5 yr olds. I plan to discuss this all with her and follow it up with a talk with the supervisor. It is my belief that the bus drivers may need some trianing in how to deal with the younger children. Segregating, calling them out, singling them out, alienating them and humiliating them are not healthy ways to dela with them. Kids are cruel enough in school and find plenty of ways on their own for teasing and alienating each other. THey don't need help from the adult staff.

So, that got long, sorry, but lots to catch up on. And actually, one more update. Carrie went in Friday for her OB appointment. He said he won't let her go past 37 weeks because of the pre-eclamsia. So, she will be having Liberty by April 8th. She has to go in tomorrow for a non-stress test and will know even more then. Of course, if the baby is under any stress, they will not let her come home. IT is nerve racking but hopefully everything goes well. Please keep the both of them in yoru prayers.

2 comments:

Julie Q said...

I'd call the bus garage, but I'd talk to someone above the bus driver. It will not go any further, or be known by her boss(es) if you only speak to her. I can't stand bus drivers! It is one of the reasons I don't mind driving my boy to the school of my choice.

Your day together sounds very nice. :) I'm glad you enjoyed it. Ah, reality is such a kick sometimes isn't it? :)

Good luck to Carrie! Very exciting time! :)

Nelson Family of 7 said...

Did you get any pictures of Jeremy and Makenneh? I hope you did because I would love to see them. I would call the bus garage too! I was so happy when the kids were able to stop riding the bus and I just started walking them to school. Still praying for Carrie! Can't wait to see pictures of her beautiful baby girl when she has her.