Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Happy Birthday Grandma - It's own post


I know I already posted once today but this post was deserving of its very own!

Eighty-eight years ago, today, a special person entered this world. I call her grandma! I was a lucky kid because I was blessed with wonderful grandparents, and my grandma Themm is no exception. When the word grandma is mentioned, most of us have an image of what we think a grandma should be - soft, kind, gentle, loving, patient, fun, story-teller, cookies, spoiler of grandkids. And my grandma fits the bill. As a young child, I loved molasses cookies, for no other reason than grandma always had some in her cookie jar, which was within kid reach, i might add. Those and fig newtons. I love those too. I also loved our trips up north to visit. I almost always got to sleep in grandma's bed with her and she would tell me the story of Jack and the Bean Stalk...off the top of her head. I remember as a child laying there, completely amazed that she knew this whole story from memory. Of course, having 12 children and countless grandkids, I am sure she had read the story and rehearsed the story many times before I came along. But, nonetheless, i thought it was amazing. We would also always go for walks. The scenery "up north" was always so beautiful and I can still recall the sound of our feet on the sandy/rocky roads. Love that sound. And we would go to the beach. The only time I ever really went to the beach as a kid was when we were up north. And I can mention grandma without recalling the smells of morning and the huge spread she would prepare. Breakfast was never just cereal. There was bacon, sausage, eggs, pancakes, fresh fruit, toast, jelly, orange juice and coffee....and more. Every meal was like that....more food than a buffet. And all prepared by her loving hands. Hands that are soft as velvet. Amazing how they could be so soft with all the hard work they have done. Until the past few years, grandma was sure to be able to work circles around even me....hauling wood, shoveling snow, you name it. Things I don't mind passing off. I know this post may be off in circles or something, but I am posting things as they come to mind. Another thing I will always remember is how I have never heard my grandma raise her voice. That's not to say she never did. I am sure her kids will tell us differently. But, I personally, cannot recall a single time that she ever has.

Now that I am older and have children of my own, I enjoy seeing the bond between my grandma and them. Especially Makenneh. Makenneh took right to her "great grandma with white hair" and I think it would be pretty accurate to say that grandma took to her as well. =)

Happy Birthday, Grandma and may you have many more beautiful birthdays to come!!!! I am truly blessed to be your granddaughter!

4 comments:

Julie Q said...

What sweet memories Christina! Happy Birthday to your Grandma!!

Anonymous said...

As usual Christina, you pluck my heart strings with your words. I printed your lovely testimony to Grandma so that she can enjoy it too. Love you,
Aunt Bev

Anonymous said...

u should write cards that was great. i lost 2 of my grand parents in one week. and what u said is what they did as well. 5 stars to u babe

Nelson Family of 7 said...

That is such a touching writing on your Grandma! I am still praying for Carrie and Liberty! Thanks for keeping us updated!