Saturday, April 25, 2009

It's past my bedtime

My sister showed up tonight around 930...well, with hubby and baby of course. She said they wanted some "good" coffee. LOL. I teased her that she wanted auntie to do gas relief for baby so she sleeps better tonight. Every time Liberty is here, I lay her on the table (well, on her changing pad and blanket) and exercise her legs to help relieve the gas. It is such a good thing that she is breastfeeding bc even so, Liberty gets a LOT of gas and spits up quite a bit. Couldn't imagine her on formula...it would probably be worse. And speaking of Liberty...she is 8lbs, 4oz now and 21 inches. She has grown quite a bit already. My gosh. almost a full pound and an inch and a half.

Liberty has been having some good nights, some bad nights. Mom mentioned to Carrie that she may need to watch what she eats, as the spicier foods may be upsetting her tummy, keeping her up all night. That was one thing I struggled with when I was Bf.....you STILL can't eat what you want. Chili...forget it (which is one my faves). Tacos? Better not. I tend to like the spicier foods...but baby doesn't like them so well. Makes for long nights and fussy babies.

Well, I had a crazy day today. What's new, right? I went to the senior center early today..was there by 1030...i say early because typically, I arrive around 11 or 1130..sometimes later. I helped with his file system because is all out of whack, if you ask me. I am trying to make it more functional. He agreed that any improvement is better than how it currently is. So, I spent a bit of time on that. Discovered that some clients have two files. Because, well, apparently, one just wasn't enough. REally though, it happens when a client comes in and the file can't be found (because it wasn't in alphabetical order, but rather numerical order, according to the order in which they come in) and so a (new) file is made with the assumption that they don't yet have one. Hopefully that will be eliminated with the alphabetizing of files. Anyway, I somehow ended up on a tangent here. So, I did some small tasks around the office today then when I getting ready to leave (2.5 hrs later), my supervisor mentioned to me that I will probably have to write a letter to the dean of my division to explain why I want to return to the senior center for my 300 hr internship. IN addition, Ruben, my sup. will have to write one as to why he wants me to return and what new things I will learn. I told him that the big thing with the dean is he wants to know that we will be learning new things. Ruben told me that if I am able to come back he wants to get me certified to be an MMAP counselor. (MMAP=Michigan Medicare/Medicaid Assistance Program). That would teach me all the ins and outs of medicare/caid and prescription drug plans. A very useful tool when working with the elderly. I am sure that even if I am unable to complete my 300 hrs at the center, I will get the opportunity to get my certification with MMAP. Anyway, I felt pretty good about the whole thing....it will look good on a resume, be helpful in my career and also just the knowledge that he thinks enough of me to want me to come back. HE had written in my review that I have been a big, big, big help. Anyway, I do hope to return there. I love it. Love the people, love the supervisor, love the atmosphere. Very relaxed, laid back, easy going. MY kinda scene. Not a bit stuffy.

I get home and open mail from the college. Apparently the summer classes I signed up for online were dropped for non-payment. Well, in the past, I have registered online, no problem. But this is the first summer class I have taken. I guess the college hasn't imported the financial aid reports yet, so that's why the classes were dropped. So, I go to the college and fill out the form to see the advisor first because I was hoping the one I wanted to see was in. She wasn't. I sit and wait...with a bunch of others..it was packed. After awhile, the lady calls my name to tell me that the computer is showing a block on my account. I had to go downstairs (from 3rd to 1) to take care of it. So, I go down to registration (where the letter I received said to go) and take a number. Wait. get up there to be told I must go to financial aid. You're kidding me, right? So, I go take a number for financial aid. Wait. Get back there and the lady was very nice, helpful. I explain what I had done, she told me what happened and signed the Perc hold slip needed to say that they would hold my classes until my funds were available. Go back up to to 3rd floor (via stairs I may add) and continue my wait up there. Finally, i am called back. He goes to register me for my classes....nope, blocked. He calls registration. Funny, because that grump wanted no part in dealing with me when I went down there. Suddenly they are the ones who must take care of it. He tells her what is happening and what I had just done. She asked to speak to me. IN the most condescending tone possible, she says, "I have to make sure you understand this before I lift the block. I see you have a perc hold slip. If for any reason your fin. aid doesn't come through you are responsible to pay for your tuition. I have to be sure you understand this." Yes, I understand. I understand because I AM literate and the kind lady down in fin. aid had to read the waiver I had to sign that stated what you just told me. I read it. Completely. Said "I am scared" and signed my name because damn it, I need this to all go through. ALl said inmy head as I grit my teeth and get on with things. Hang up and finally am able to sign up for my classes. Then I asked advisor guy to go over my credits and lets make sure I am on the right track. To my knowledge, i need the last two social work courses (300 hrs intern, split into 2 sep. classes) and a LAB class. WE go through it and guess what? I only need the sw classes...300 hrs. He said I am 13 credits away. I had just signed up for 6 for summer and woohooo, look at me go! I felt much better. Honestly, when I was dealing with witch on phone, I had tears stinging my eyes. For a fleeting moment, I considered grabbing my stuff up and walking out. Giving up. But a voice inside said, "Hey, you have come too far, worked too hard to throw it all in now. Stick with it. Get through it." But the tears were stinging and the lump in my throat made it hard to breath for a moment. But, when adviser guy told me that good news, well, it just felt better. I walked out of that office with a bounce in my step. I still have to go until winter...and not graduate until Next May...but I can see an end in sight. It is all paying off. Almost. There.

For summer I am just taking business math and intro to business because not much is offered in summer and I wanted to stay at the local extension campus rather than have to drive to main campus. I figure bus. classes can never be a bad idea. Could be helpful when I start my Non-profit sometime down the road. Sure some of the things learned with be helpful.

Wow, haven't I said enough already? Lots on my mind and hey, it's 230am. Just because most people are sleeping, doesn't mean I should be. Hahaha. But, my eyelids are getting heavier by the minute so I will wrap it up. But not before I mention the glorious weather we are having...near 80 temps...but rain is in forecast for next few days....chances of rain, not guarantee. We were supposed to get some today, but it never materialized. But, it's pretty balmy. Feels much like FLA. So, I can pretent I am on vacation, right? Good night..and enjoy the weekend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear Liberty is thriving and wonderful to hear that she has Aunt Christina to help the tummyache.

I have sympathy for your school crap. My friend Kathy and I tried to make appointments with our advisor for summer registration and were told that appts were not being made it is a first come first served. I was first to arrive at 7:50am and was not seen until 11:15 - I had a class at noon. Meanwhile, people were going in with APPOINTMENTS!!! oh, they had jobs or classes to get to. Yeah, we did too but were told no appointments. Ah, we got in, got registered and got to class on time! We did miss an A&P study group though. Ah, we can let lifes trifles bog us down!

Love you,
Aunt Bev

Julie Q said...

Ah, the run around with financial aid! What a pain in the butt! I do hope it all comes through ok Christina. And yes, you have come too far to throw it away!

So, the weather, not what they said we'd get! So rainy! And wet! And loud!

I had that same problem with spicy food while nursing Z. I think the worst thing I ate that bothered him was a chicken sandwich from Burger King. You just never know!