Monday, October 30, 2006

Sunshine, glorious sunshine

The sun finally made an appearance. It was so beautiful today! It was warm (no jackets were really even needed) and bright and cheery. Hard to be depressed and frumpy when blessed with such a beautiful day. I turned the furnace off, opened the front door and a couple windows. We spent some time outside, just breathing in the fresh fall air. It is now 11pm and I still have my front door open and the kitchen window opened. OH and one of the living room windows is still open a bit. It would be so nice to have a night like this tomorrow for Halloween! But, reading Julieq's blog, it doesn't sound like that will be the case. (we live in the same state). Julieq, I really hope you are wrong on the forecast...lol. I want another day like today! I actually got out of the shower and did my hair and, don't tell anyone, i actually put on a lil makeup! LOL. I felt alive today.

But, despite the beautiful day, we got a lil bad news. Jeremy went to put the new (well used, but not broken) CV axle on our car today and discovered that we need a whole new hub. So, what could have been a 35.00 fix is now going to cost more and won't be done until this weekend. So, we have no car until then. It often seems that when it rains, it pours. I think not having a car is really pushing my depression. I hate being confined to the house. But, such is life. The car shall remain lifeless for several days.

Meanwhile, back in the parenting ring....I have been so bad about working with Makenneh. Luckily, she has caught on to most things fairly well. She does know/recognize colors and shapes. However, she doesn't know her ABC's and can only count to 5-6 correctly on a regular basis. Sometimes she will go as high as 8-10 but not consistantly. The alphabet part really surprises me bc when she was a baby and oh so colicky, i would hold her and sing the alphabet to her in a soothing voice. Mostly bc, well, I couldn't ever remember all the words to most of the lullabyes. But, i thought it would benefit her anyway, so i sang abc's a lot. In school, they are working on writing their name. My poor child was blessed with a long name. MAKENNEH. She will get it though. Mine is CHRISTINA and I got it. Of course, when i first started writing it, i wrote it backwards....ANITSIRHC. I didn't believe it til i saw it on a paper i did at Christmas...while going through christmas decorations with my mom. Anyway, in between writing here, I am "writing" with Makenneh. I started out trying to help her write her name...i would do the dot thing and she wanted to draw dots too, so we took turns. I would dot out a letter of her name and she would trace it, then she would draw dots and i would let her "tell me" how to draw it. But, it's extremely late, she is very tired and well, time for bed. Otherwise, she will never be any good for trick or treating. She is not wanting to put the marker down. I am going to have to stop here so i can enforce bed! So, wish me luck...my tight is chest and blood pressure is elevating....and my nose is stuffy too for what it's worth...lol.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christina, we are right there with you on the colds and stuff and me with the blood pressure! They are making me do a 5 day blood pressure check and then giving me an appointment to put me back on meds. All of us have colds except for Michael which might make Trick or Treating a little interesting tonight if we go at all. I tried to get a cold pack from the pharmacy today but with my blood pressure and breastfeeding they wouldn't give me one and said that I needed to make an appointment to see a doctor. I will deal with it until Thursday! Anyway, glad that you were able to enjoy some nice weather if only for one day. Good luck with the car!

Julie Q said...

Well, no rain, but no sun either. But, dry for trick or treating. :)

With warmth this time of year, comes rain.

We opened our windows yesterday too. Today for a bit as well.

Bummer about the car. When our first three were little, we only had one car. It is so hard.

Do you have a printer that works? I know a web site that will print out the dots for you. I will look it up and post it when I find it.

Starfall.com is good for learning letters in a fun way. They go from basic to learning to read.

Julie Q said...

I found it. :)

http://handwritingworksheets.com/

You type in whatever you want your child to practice and then print them up. :)