Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Bunco

Seems how Julie mentioned that she didn't know what Bunco is (and most people don't), I will try to explain it.

It's a dice game. We have 12 women (well we are currently short a couple) and we use 3 (card) tables with 4 chairs per table. One table is the "head" table and controls the bell. Then there is table 2 and the "boobie" table. As we arrive, we pick a seat. The person sitting across from you is your partner for that round. Once everyone has arrived and is seated, the head table rings the bell. One person will begin rolling the 3 dice. We each have a score sheet with six sets of 6 (numbered 1-6, 1-6,1-6). We start with ones. You roll the dice, if you get any 1s,you continue to roll, accumulating points. If you get 3 of a kind it equals 5 pts. If you roll 3 ones, then it's a bunco and you and your partner automatically win that round. Otherwise, you roll the dice until you don't get any ones (or the number we are on for each round). Then, you pass to the next person. The person sitting across from you gets to count your points as well (hence, partners). If nobody buncos, the first team to 21 wins. However, the head table is in control of the bell, so as soon as a team at the head table wins (be it a bunco or reaching 21), they ring the bell. At that time, if the other tables are still playing, they must stop and the team with the most points wins. Then, follow closely....if you are at table 2 or boobie, the losers stay at that table, but one person moves seats so as not to be with the same partner. If you are at the head table, the losers leave and one of the winners has to move so as not to be partners again. So, all night you are at very least moving seats. After all 6 sets are played, we add up the number of wins we each have and award prizes accordingly. The most wins gets first and so on down to 4th place. Then the person with the most buncos wins a prize. The person with the least number of wins gets "boobie" prize. It is possible (and common) that the person winning most buncos also gets a 1-4th place prize as well.

Each month, one of us hosts us (our months are determined in December when we draw to see who hosts when). When you are the host, you provide a place to play (usually your home, although some have used club houses or another member's home if needed. LIke, my place is too small, so i usually have it at my mom's). You also provide food and drinks and you get to buy the prizes which is purchased with money that we all put in each month. It's 5.00 to play and so 60.00 is collected. We have an allotted amount to spend per each prize, with most money spent on first place. And you can shop where ever you choose, buy what you want.

It's quite fun. The biggest rule is: NO MEN, NO CHILDREN! We rarely ever have alcoholic drinks; usually lemonade, tea, pop, whatever. It may sound a bit confusing, but it's actually far easier to just play as opposed to "being taught". The rules of the game sound so complicated that it scares most ppl. We always tell them, just learn as we go..it's really easy!

And now on to the rest of my post:
It rained all day here. But, i didn't mind. It was still warm out and i love the sound of rain. It was an ok day. Sebastian is really capitalizing on the terrible twos!

I'm beginning to stress about all the money we are going to need soon for all these showers and weddings and such. We have a wedding on the 19th and a shower on the 20th. Then the following w/e is my sister's shower. For the shower on the 20th, (it's my husband's cousin), I am going in on a gift with my mother in law. We decided to get one of the laundry baskets off her registry, then fill it with different household things (and i can use coupons at Kroger and get them doubled up to 1.00 and save a lot of money). Then we are going to make up a little booklet or something of that nature with household hints. So, if you have any good ones, feel free to leave them and I will include them. A lot of the things on her registry are pricey and I hate spending say 30.00 just to have an iron to give. She registered for a spice rack that is 55.00. Yikes. And 20.00 for a waste basket for the bathroom. It isn't even anything special. Just white and plain. But, I digress. Just not my style. I just don't want to give a gift that is just a waste basket (yet that is what is in my price range). But this idea we have is nice and it's stuff everyone can use. So, she is still getting the laundry basket she wants plus a bunch of household things that she can use. I may get crafty and include something like a covered photo album. But we will see.

Tonight i made Mother's Day cards for everyone we needed cards for. I have tons of scrapbook supplies, but never have an opportunity to scrapbook (can't get all that stuff out with kids running amuck). So, i put it to good use. They turned out very nice. Much better than any store bought card, if i do say so myself! Makenneh helped with some of them, but she was easily distracted with making her own creations for her friends....lol. No big deal. Our plans for Sunday are going to church, then to my brother's for a cook out. I would much rather go out to eat, but i hate the crowds that days like that bring. And most places don't take reservations unless they are real fancy and well, we don't do fancy. So, this works. And Mom said she wants a new rock tumbler. Yippee. LOL. She is into rocks. But, like dad says, it's a cheap hobby. Some women are shopaholics or whatever...rocks are free and fun to scavenge for. But, the tumbling of them can be a wee bit pricey. OH well, it makes her happy. She has a whole tote full of rocks she got when they went up to Lake Superior (I think it was). Then, I think I'm gonna have Kenneh plant some flower seeds in the peet pots I have to give to the grandmas as well.

Oh my, these kids are wound up like mad tonight. Sebastian mostly. the kid has boundless energy. I need to borrow some from him.

Well, that's all she wrote for tonight. Need to make my rounds on here and crack down on these kids.

1 comment:

Julie Q said...

I still have to get Mother's Day cards! I'd make them if I had the stuff to, but I don't. My Mom will be here on Mother's Day, but I have to mail Ken's Mom's card! I don't think it's going to make it there on time.

Terrible twos, awful threes, it just goes on. ;) But they have their good days too.

I sort of get the game, you are right, you'd have to play to get it.