Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Finally cut the jungle

That was growing in our yard. Our mower isn't working and with all the rain we have gotten, it was about knee deep. I couldn't let the kids out in the yard bc the mosquitos were abundant. But, we borrowed mom and dad's mower today and cut it. We fought over who would get to mow. LOL. I said i didn't mind mowing, he said he would mow...we went back and forth in friendly banter. I asked him why he never fights me over who gets to do the dishes. He said i could win that fight. Gee, thanks. LOL. I won the mowing too! I beat him to it! He did a couple swipes, but i took it back over. Now, we have nice short grass again! No more white trash yard! Well, except for all the kid toys in the yard. LOL.

I took makenneh to the doctor today~! So glad i did. He walked in and before he even got real close to her, said, "that's not poison ivy. Poison ivy is a weepy rash. It's most likely contact dermatitis." He asked if she has any other symptoms, so i told him she had complained of a sore throat saturday, she had felt mildly warm, but nothing that prompted me to get the thermometer. He said well it sounds like it may be viral then. He looked in her throat (and boy did she gag) and ordered a strep culture, which came back positive! So, she has strep! And that's one of the side effects,if you will, to the virus. One way her body is dealing with it. So, he gave me a Rx for penicillan and benadryl (thankfully bc i really didn't have the extra money to buy any right now). She is such a trooper. She doesn't like the penecillan but takes it anyway! She says, I not like that stuff. I can't believe how "normal" kids will be when they are sick. She was all hyped up today as if nothing was wrong. The sad news is, she can't go back to school until friday and well, their last day is Thursday. They have their end of the year field trip on Friday, though. We are going to Crossroads Village. I feel lazy, so google it if you are curious..lol. It's an old fashioned, historical village with everything set back to 1800s i believe. Maybe early 1900s. They have a blacksmith shop, doctors office, etc. There is a train ride you can take, an old ferris wheel and carasoul you can ride...it's a nice venue. They are going to have Thomas the Train there this summer! of course, tickets are like 16.00 a piece. What a racket!

The pressure is on for the wedding. We still haven't been called about our dresses coming in. Im gettin a bit nervous. I know i will need alterations for sure and we are done to like 5 weeks. Carrie is gonna call them tomorrow to see what's up. Hopefully they are in. Geesh, we ordered them back in Jan!

We are supposed to have a high of 90* tomorrow (probably today by the time you read this...for wednesday). IT's a record high i guess. Yippe. I live in a tin box. It heats up like crazy. Im not looking forward to it. Oh well. Can't change it. And for now, it beats snow! of course, tomorrow, i may be wishing for snow to cool myself off in. Have to stick my head in the freezer. One of the joys of living on your own. (Helen, remind your older kids of these little things...)..i can open the freezer and stand with my head in there and nobody is going to yell at me to shut it bc it's costing money. LOL. I can do it! And I do! OF course, give it a few years, and ill probably be saying that same thing to my kids. LOL.

And now on to a touchy subject. This has been weighing on my mind a lot lately and I just need to get it out. I've posted a little bit about my cousin Markie. She has a "friend" who is more than a friend, who happens to be a girl, too. Markie will be 16 the 31st of this month..so a few days. On that day will be 5 months that she has been "with" her girlfriend. well, most of those months, they were seperated bc of Markie and her family moving to AZ. Well, prior to their move to AZ, nobody really knew that Markie and A were more than friends. Something happened, i suppose, while in AZ where her dad found out. He has barred her from talking on the phone or using the internet at all, PERIOD, end of story. BECAUSE HE DOESN'T WANT HER TO TALK TO A. This just bugs the bajeebers out of me. I mean, they think it's cute for thier 11/12 yr old daughter to go over to her "boyfriend's" house (since she was about 10), but Markie can't even use a phone at all, bc she likes a girl. And her parents are just treating her like absolute crap and it all boils down to her liking a girl. They belittle/berate her, they keep her on a tight rope, they talk about "it" as if she has done some horrible thing....Example; Her dad says, "a bunch of shit went down and I will have to tell you about it some other time. It's just a bunch of shit..." all huffy and pissy. Well, he doesn'tknow that I know. He doesn't know that Markie has confided in me. They won't even let her go to that school district now that they have returned to MI. So, bc they were only in AZ about 6 weeks or less, Markie will get no credit for this semester unless she passes all exams with an 80% or higher bc she hasn't been in this new district long enough to get a grade and wasn't in AZ district long enough. IF they had put her back where she started, all that would have transferred and she wouldn't be facing a possible failure of an entire high school semester. Just stupid imo. I can't begin to tell you how sad and frustrated i am. Her dad has yet to "fill me on" on this horrific "thing" that is going on. I wish he would, bc i would tell him how i really feel. That I love her no matter who she loves. That she will always be my cousin. That who she loves doesn't change who she is. That she is still a human being deserving of common decency and respect. I could understand it if she and A had gotten into some big trouble or something...but they were absolutely fine with the two of them hanging out until he found out they were more than friends. So, i know it all boils down to the fact that Markie likes girls. The irony is, Markie's one aunt is a lesbian,living with her girlfriend. Mark (markie's dad) always glamourized it when it pertained to his sister in law and her gf. Even in front of the kids. But now that it is his daughter, it's nasty and disgusting? Please! So, just keep them in your thoughts and prayers. She is going through a difficult time as it is and the way her parents have been treating her over this has left her feeling very bad. Teen years are hard enough as it is,then when you add homosexuality in there, especially in a pretty conservative family..well, it's not a pretty sight. My heart just breaks every time i think about it. Why would a parent do that to their child? I will always love my children no matter what they do. My love for them is absolutely unconditional. I may not like certain things they do, i may not agree with all the choices they make along the way...but by God, I will always love them with all that I am, all that I have!

And with that note, i am off here

1 comment:

Julie Q said...

Ken won't let me cut the grass. He is a lawn guy though. :)

So good you took Makenneh to the doctor. She must have felt awful. Hopefully she will feel better soon. Poor baby.

So sad about your cousin. Such drama in her young life. I'm glad she does have you to talk to.