Thursday, May 03, 2007

May 3

Today is my grandma's birthday. She would have been 69. It's hard to believe that she has been gone for 10 yrs, on one hand. But on the other, I fear that I am forgetting more than I remember. I thought I would be able to write this post without getting upset, but I've proven myself wrong already. It feels like a lifetime ago since she was here.

And the sun is shining so brightly and it's such a beautiful day. If she were still here, we would be at her house right now. THe family would be packed in and we would all be celebrating. There would be flowers and gifts and food and kids running around and adults talking over each other, all about much of nothing...but instead, here i sit, in silence. I want to go to the cemetary and plant some flowers. I should do that. But, Sebastian is down for a nap and I really shouldn't drive my car much, beings that it just has the donut tire on there. And I can hear her telling me not to worry about it, that she isn't there. She is Home, celebrating with the finest of foods, the brightest of balloons, the most beautiful flowers.

She loved angels, burgundies and mauves, her Yorkie, Cody
She was always crocheting something
I remember helping her untangle her yarn as she worked on her projects
She always had Halls cough drops and we used to want them (and she would give them to us)
She would ask for a CLEAN glass of COLD water...as if we would bring her warm water in a dirty glass...lol
She loved Arby's Roast Beef Sandwiches
And Burned Koegel's Hot Dogs
She always sat at the table (most of my mom's family hangs out at the kitchen table rather than in living room)
You would always find a bag of crocheting material at her side
Her spot at the table was worn...
I remember helping her wash her hair when she was too sick to do it herself
and sitting on the toilet while she took baths
Poor gma never had any privacy
She never complained
She had faith that could move mountains
I miss her
The day she passed away, we could see the most beautiful sunset from her hospital window
I've never seen a more beautiful sunset in my life

I have to go now. I have to go to the cemetary.
It's been 10 yrs and some years her birthday is easier than others. This year, i guess it's hitting hard.

2 comments:

mom to three great kids said...

Your Grandma sounds delightful. It's nice to see she left you with many wonderful memories. You are very lucky to have them.I'm sure she's looking down from above...and is happy she is being remembered on her birthday....Flowers or not...she knows.

Julie Q said...

My Grandmothers both died when I was very young. Hold on to the memories, they sound like good ones.

If you didn't get to the cemetery today, perhaps you can go there Memorial Day?

Or maybe make a cake and tell your own little ones about her?

(((Big Hugs)))