Sunday, September 23, 2007

Cutting a rug

The wedding was beautiful! Of course, i arrived about 10 mins before ceremony, go into the bride's room only to find chaos and the best man....who was a childhood friend. He and my brother were thick as thieves when we were kids. Anyway, they needed someone to pin boutinieres on the guys. The box was shoved at me and off I went. I went across into the guys' dressing room and was pleasantly surprised to find two other childhood friends in there. I wasn't aware that Shannon's hubby was friends with all of them. I couldn't believe it. It was like a childhood reunion. And i have to add that John, the best man, sure has grown up. He is absolutely gorgeous. not the same little boy I knew. LOL.

Jeremy started getting sick at the reception and it wasn't from drinking. He was freezing cold (which i didn't think a lot of as ppl were putting coats/sweatshirts/whatever they had on hand bc it was soooo cold in there...unless u were up dancing of course. Then he ended up in the bathroom throwing up. Of course, somewhere in all this, he ended up with a UofM sweatshirt on. He had borrowed it from one of my cousins. Well, Jeremy is a State fan (UM and state are huge football rivals). so when he got back to our table, with my dad, brother, and brother in law...they all started ragging on him that they wanted a pic. Jeremy said no way were they getting one and they started wrestling a bit (Not in the floor rollling around, but just arms going i guess). Well, the lady who runs the place comes up and tells jeremy he has to leave. WTF, first of all, there were 3 or so guys trying to get him (in fun, keep in mind) but even still, had they actually been fighting, why would you kick out the "victim"? My dad and brother were pissed. My dad told her she was off her rockers...they are family and just playing around. then she says well he at least needs to get away from him, referrnig to ralph, my brother in law. So, jeremy starts walking towards the door, but my parents are right there on our heels. My dad stopped, told that lady that she is wrong...they weren't fighting, blah blah. THen he looks to jeremy and says, come on, ur coming with me and took him back to the table. we got back to the table and just laughed...crazy. bc ralph and jeremy were sitting next to each other anyway, laughing about the whole damn thing. Meanwhile, my brother went to her and told her that if she kicks him out she is making a grave mistake as he knows many of hte business owners in this town (it's our hometown where my brother still lives)....needless to say she started back peddling. a while later, jeremy went up to bar to get a pop and she apologized to him. Hmph! All that and keep in mind that my aunt and uncle paid $6000 for this and yet the kitchen was filthy, the groom had to mop the bathroom floors the night before the wedding bc they were so disgusting and the whole place was covered in dust and cob webs. the bathrooms smelled like outhouses and the table skirts for the food tables were stained yellow. Do i even need to mention the "landscaping" outside the building? Off to the side of the entrance doors, she had one of those plastic landscaping ponds...only it was only half full with green, algae infested water, dead fish and starving live fish. The ground around the "pond" was full of weeds and grass and just looked yucky. With the money she charges for this place, it would seem it could at least be cleaned and free of unfinished landscaping projects. Needless to say, the brides sister is getting married next october and they won't be using this facility for her wedding.

I finally got my speech done. I still need to practice some more and now that the kids are asleep, i will head to the bathroom to practice some more. I am so nervous i feel like i could vomit. I don't want to be up in front of everyone doing this. I don't know why...well it's natural and most everyone has this fear of public speaking. but i am so nervous it's not funny. to add to my nervousness, i can't be in comfortable clothes, but rather have to dress up and that's not my thing...so i will already be way out of my element. I hope i get a decent enough grade. Of course, for my next speech, im going to stay on task and ahead of the game much better. this one snuck up on me and with all the wedding stuff going on and still adjusting to back to school life mixing with family life, i wasn't ready for it at all. Oh well....nothing to do but go forward. I am just afraid i will get in front of the class and blank out....forgetting everything. I also worry bc my voice is weak. moreso when nervous. I tend to talk in my shoes when im uncomfortable. I can't do this tmorrow. I have to look ppl in their eyes, make eye contact, use gestures and speak up, confidentally. wow. breath deep. Hahaahah. I am trying to convince myself i will do just fine and that i can do this. I can hear my voice in my head being strong and heard. WE will see how it goes.

Oh i have to add...makenneh didn't want to leave the reception to come home, shortly after dinner, as we had arranged with the sitter. so we let her stay and that girl was out on the dance floor the entire night. And when the dj was done playing music, she came up and said, mom, im ready to go home now. LOL. She fell asleep on the way home, woke up when we got home and was up for about half hour then crashed. she slept til noon today. ANd still went to bed by 10 tonight.

Well, can't think of much else to post about. The newlyweds are off to Hawaii tomorrow. I should stow away in a suitcase....lol.

1 comment:

Julie Q said...

Oh, I'm nervous for you! I am not good at speaking to one person let alone a class room. Good luck! It would help if I didn't know all the people very well. High school, I just couldn't do it.

What a silly thing to have happen at the reception. I'm glad you all ended up having a good time. It is nice to see childhood friends isn't it? I rarely see mine. Most of them have moved out of our hometown and they never visit, so we never see them.

And wow to Makenneh dancing the night away. My girls were like that when they were little. :) Maybe she will join show choir in high school too. :)