Sunday, September 02, 2007

The good, the bad, the downright ugly

First, the good news! The car is fixed. Well, even that has a "but". The immediate problems are fixed. But, i still have to shell out 89.00 for tags(which i don't have) and it needs a front end alignment and new tires. (there's another few hundred dollars). So, mom and dad bought the parts to fix the initial problems and I will pay them back with my refund from financial aid. That was almost $300. *choke, cough, puke* So, im excited, but not overjoyed, as the car still must sit at mom and dad's. I guess we are just that much closer to having it back.

The bad...we checked our fancy new mailbox today (it's those ones that are locked, at the front of the community...). We had like 4 or 5 letters from our phone company. One giving us the run down on the plans we chose, one explaining the credit bureau they use for credit checks, one from when i originally had it started in my name (but canceled hours later), and the last one explained our choice of Unlimited Plan. I must first say that the area I live in has one phone company to choose from...wait, that's not a choice, is it? Anyway, the prefix to my home phone is "abc"(-1234). Well, the area that has this small prefix is well, a very small town (I refer to it as a one-horse town). It is nothing much more than a stop light in town. In the past, having a phone in this area, meant you could call this one horse town or it was long distance. In other words, to call my sister, who lives in the next town over, it would be long distance (thus racking up a phone bill). More recently, they have made it to where you can call the surrounding cities and even the larger city we are nearest. Well, I don't have to dial the area code to access these other cities, but im not sure if it's still considered long distance. Maybe it's just a brain fart...but i am not 100% certain that they eliminated the "long distance" aspect of surrounding cities. Anyway, i know im babbling...but to get to the point, this letter we got in the mail said that "The Unlimited Plan is available for typical residential voice usage only. Long distance fax and data(including long distance calls to a dial-up internet provider) will be billed at .10/min." WTF? So, are we being charged, the past couple weeks for every ~MINUTE~ we have been online? Bc if so, our phone bill is through the roof already. I feel this is a very important "piece of information" that perhaps, they should have shared with us when we called to get the phone turned on and chose this "plan". So, Im hoping that seems I don't have to dial the area code to reach these cities, that it isn't considered long distance still by the phone company(as i know less than 10 yrs ago, it was, although then, you had to dial 1 then area code). I am a bit nervous to even be on the internet. And wouldn't you know it, i get this on Saturday, of a holiday weekend and this company is so "out of date" they don't offer 24 hr customer service. They have regular old m-f, 8-5 hours. They certainly won't be open monday as it is Labor Day weekend. So, i can't call to verify anything. I tried accessing their website, but you must have an account number, from your bill, which i haven't received yet, bc this is a new service...grrrr.

Now to the ugly...there are 2 of them, really. The first is the worst. Makenneh stayed at my mom's last night. I call my mom this morning (around 1030) to see what the plan was for the day and she informs me that she is picking nits out of Makenneh's hair. I grew queasy very quickly. Then i fumed. Where the hell did they come from? I don't want to go through this shit again. SO, while still on the phone to mom, Jeremy starts looking at Seb's head...finds a bug right off the bat. I was ready for melt down. One saving grace was, i had plenty of lice shampoo and other stuff from the last round with these pesty things. So, i treat all of our heads here...comb through seb's hair, find nothing more, after inspection. Of course, you know how it goes, you are itching your head right now, just thinking about it aren't you? Yep, i haven't been able to stop itching since i found out. I have treated my head..ran a comb through it the best i can with nothing on the comb. Yet, i itch. My whole body itches. I don't think i will be able to relax until i have my mom check my head. So, my kids have only been around 3 other kids: Stephanie, who has stayed with us most of the summer, with no incident, Desiree, who stayed a few nights ago, but does live with Steph, so hard to say. Then there is the two little cousins, whom i suspected last time and whom my mom has found bugs in their hair. We will call them K and K. Well, last week, during our move, mom had the kids for me, one day. K and K were at their grandma's house (who lives next door, who is also my dad's neice). So, Im thinking, once again, that's where they came from. THis kid always is digging her head, last time when we had this and my mom found bugs in k's hair, she told the gma, who then said she would treat, but we found out, she did shampoo, but only the two little ones and didn't treat the home (not even the mom's home). So, we know they don't take care of the problem correctly. I decided today that my kids are not allowed to play with those kids anymore. I know it may hurt feelings and could cause familial issues, but the things is, when my kids get lice, it hurts my pocketbook, my sanity and ruins the day for me. NOt to mention, my kids then have to endure the whole treatment process, be exposed to harmful chemicals and sit forever while i pick nits. Not fair to me or my kids. So, let them get mad, hurt, upset, angry. Maybe they will see that they have to treat this properly and get rid of it. I can't imagine just letting my kids run around, digging at theirs heads and not even think about checking/treating for lice. It makes me wanna puke. How could someone do that? So, out of all this ugliness, the one good thing is, i didn't have to buy the treatments this time. That was a life saver as we simply don't have the extra money right now.

The other ugly is that Jeremy's back tooth is rotted. HE has had issues with his teeth forever. He had a bike accident when he was a kid...over the handlebars, knocked out some teeth, deadened some of them, etc. Well, this tooth is horrible looking. It hurts him, he is miserable. We have no insurance. I am going to have to call around on tues to try to figure something out before he gets infection and bigger problems. When it rains, it pours. i have had my share of downs, im ready for some ups!

So yeah, my last weekend before plunging into college is spent miserably. What gives?! Maybe i can look forward to classes as a vacation?! Of course, if i don't get something solved about the tags on the car, i won't be worrying about classes, bc i will have no way there and will have to drop them. My mom doesn't have a car during the day and my dad doesn't get home until after my night classes start...so they can't help and everyone i can think of has work. Because I used finacial aid, i cannot just wait and see...if i can't get there, i have to withdraw from them, bc otherwise, i will not be eligible for financial aid until after i pay for a semester, which i can't see myself affording that any time in my near future. So, yeah, a lot on my plate, starting to feel overwhelmed and ready to bury my head in some sand. I am fighting the urge...bc that wouldn't solve anything, but im reaching a point where i feel i can't keep going at it.

Now, im off to scratch some very hopefully and most likely imaginary bugs in my head...lol

1 comment:

The other me said...

It is absolutely time for you to get a damn break! Man......I wish there was something I could do to help!