Friday, September 07, 2007

Thursday Night Class

Well, last night was my Human Relations/Multi-cultural Communications class. It was at the local brach of the college, so i didn't have to fight parking or anything. And better yet, I have a good professor and I think im going to love this class. On our last day of class for the semester, we are having a food fest, rather than an exam. We have one project to do and a couple reports. Everything is rather informal and can include class interaction. For instance, for our project, we have to pick a culture to learn about. The report only has to be 2 pages...one for our names and all that info, the 2nd is the outline. Then we give a 30 min or longer presentation to the class. Get this...we could even have a guest speaker come in from the culture we chose. There's your presentation. The floor would be open for class to ask the speaker questions and such. An assignment surely can't get much easier than that. You can include artifacts, food, music, dancing, whatever correlates with your culture you choose to present. And ya know what i sat in class thinking....OH HELEN...LOL! I can do a project on English culture and you can be my guest speaker...lol. Of course, im teasing on you being the guest speaker, bc well, England to MI is quite a distance for a 30 min class presentation. Although the class would love your humor and wittiness. It would certainly make for an interesting and fun presentation. The project is of course, not due until closer to the end of the semester, so i have time to think about what i want to do, what culture to present, etc. I have to admit, i am strongly leaning toward English culture bc since "meeting" Helen, I have become fascinated with England even more than ever before.

And for all the complaining I've done about always getting the "by-the-books, up-tight" teachers, this time, i got one of those more laid back, easy going kind of teachers. HE said he won't usually keep us the full 3 hours either. Woot! Last night, he let us out at 7:10ish....we are supposed to be there until 8:55! Oh and he is an LPC...licensed professional counselor, just what I am going for. So, i figure, i could talk to him about his career choice and get pointers. HE is also a LMSW which is a Licensed master social worker. Wowzer. And, do the math..he has been teaching since 1960!!!!! My parents were born in 1960..lol. He is retired, but still teaches part time and intends to do so as long as health allows him.

So, i left last night's class feeling good. I don't have class again til monday, when i have math. Eww, i don't care for that teacher, much. But, need the grade, so i'll deal with him. Monday night i have English102. Hopefully I have a cool teacher for that class too!

I am certain now that dialing up to the internet is going to cost me. We got a thing in the mail from our phone company (i may have mentioned this before) about dialing to internet using long distance..blah blah. Well, we got our little phone book from them yesterday so i started going through it for some reason..and found a section that explains that everything outside of montrose is long distance, however, theyhave this adjacent exchange calling plan that allows us to call into several surrounding cities without dialing an area code. We get 2000 mins a month on this plan that is just standard on the phone line. (i think we have unlimited). But the point is, it clarifies the fact that this is prob going at .10/min to be online. I am not happy. JEremy didn't list me as able to make changes to the phone ( just didn't think about doing it), so he has to deal with them. That's sort of a good thing, as it's one less thing i have to deal with. However, I am more efficient at dealing with these companies and such. Not to mention, he is at work during business hours. They have a special on DSL right now for 19.95/month for a year. that's only 9.00 more than we are paying for dial up. I am thinking of switching and that will eliminate the per min charge and so save us lots of money. I am calling Jeremy at work here in a few mins (his break time) to have him call the phone company and order the dsl.

Today is a rainy day. It's strange bc the sun is trying so hard to shine through the rain/clouds. So, it's not a typical gloomy rainy day, but rather, there is a glow out there to go with the rain.

Well, i need to get some things done around here then get to my mom's. Makenneh stayed there last night. I swear that kid would move in there if she could. she wants to stay all the time. I am so happy that she has that kind of relationship with my parents. It gives me warm fuzzies. Every child deserves at least one set of awesome grandparents. And some are just lucky enough, like me, to have 2! OF course, by the time i was 17, i only had one grandparents living. And Makenneh absolutely adores her! Really, who wouldn't? Grandma T is everything you think of when you think grandma.

Ok, im really off here now.....

2 comments:

Julie Q said...

Ouch! I was born in '64. ;)

I'm glad you like your class so much! :)

It rained a little bit this morning, then it got sunny and now it's really windy! There's a change coming and I'm going to like it! :)

The other me said...

That class sounds like fun, wonder how we could get me to do your presentation for you! LOL! Anything you need to know, ask away!