Saturday, April 01, 2006

Inside the life of a SAHM

Yes, i am a bloggin fool tonight, sorry. Anyway, i got the following in an email from my good friend, stationed in Germany. I thought it was definitely worth sharing...and is my sentiments exactly!

My husband came home today and saw me sitting on the couch, toddler on one knee, and another on the opposite knee.

I was trying to turn the pages of a book with one
hand, while listening for the sound of the stove
buzzer or the smells coming from the stove,
which would indicate that tonight's pork chops were at the stage between "well-done" and "the dog
gets tonight's entrée".
After our saying hello to one another. I looked At my beloved with serious eyes and said; I’m really tired. My husband looked at me innocently, and asked, "So,
did you do anything today?"

It's a good thing that most of my appendages were
otherwise engaged, as I was unable to jump up and
smack him.

Let me back up a bit, and explain what led me to this
point in my life.

I was not always bordering on the brink of insanity.
On the contrary, a mere Six years ago, I had a good
job, steady income, and we drove a vehicle that could NOT seat
a professional sports team, and me, comfortably.

I watched television shows that were not hosted by
singing puppets. I went to bed later than nine o'clock
at night or stayed up all night. I preferred sex to sleeping in.

Now I have become one of them.

What happened?

The stick turned blue. There were two lines. Whatever.

I have traded in my Victoria's Secrets lingerie for
cotton briefs, a firm-support bra and a t-shirt.

Good-bye, Maxwell & Biggy. Hello, Wheels on the Bus.

My idea of privacy is getting to use the bathroom
without a 6 year old banging on the door, and the
other spinning the toilet paper roll from my lap.

And I finally understand that the term "Stay At Home
Mom" does not refer to a parent who no longer works
outside the house, but rather to one who never seems
to get out the front door anymore.

So here I sit children in hand, wondering how to
answer my beloved husband.

Did I do anything today?

Well, I think I did, although not much seems to have
gotten accomplished.

I shared breakfast with a 2 beautiful young ladies. Of
course, the breakfast consisted of a bowl of Oatmeal
and 1 Jar of Baby food. One of the most beautiful young ladies is
about thirty four inches tall and only gets really
excited at the sight of purple dinosaurs, white a claymation bunny(Miffy)
and her toes.

I got to take a relaxing stroll in the park. Of course
I was on the lookout for ducks and bees, and had to
stop to smell the dandelions along the way.

I successfully washed one load of laundry, moved the
load that was in the washer into the dryer, and the
dryer load into the basket. The load that was in the
basket is now spread out on the sofa, awaiting my
bedtime decision to actually put the clothes away or
merely move them to the top of the dresser.

I read two or three classics. Outloud. Of course,
Dickens or Shakespeare cannot take credit for these works, as we
have moved on to the works like Green Eggs and Ham and
Goodnight Gorrilla. I don't think I will be making any
trips to the Section of my local library anytime soon.

In between, I washed bottles, wiped highchairs,
changed at least 6 diapers and had oatmeal flung at my
head. I kissed away the owies and washed away the
tears. I scolded, praised, hugged and tested my
patience, all before noon.

Did I do anything today?

You bet.

I now understand what people mean when they say that
parenthood is the hardest job they will ever have. In
my LBD (life before diapers) I was able to keep my
house clean, the laundry under control and even
balance my check book on a regular basis.

I was once able to navigate urban streets while
talking on the car phone, putting on make up and
looking for a decent radio station, but now I can't
get the wheels on my stroller to all go in the same
direction.

I used to talk with my friends about current events,
but now we discuss the merits of cloth versus disposable diapers. And when did I stop talking in
sentences that had more than five words?

So in response to my husband's inquiry, yes, I did do
something today.

In fact, I am one step closer to one of Life's
greatest
accomplishments.

No, I did not cure AIDS or forge World Peace, but I
did hold a miracle in my arms. Two, in fact.

My children are my great accomplishment, and the
opportunity to raise them is my greatest challenge. I
don't know if my children will grow up to be great
leaders or world-class brain surgeons. Frankly, I
don't care, as long as they grow up to be happy and
fulfilled.

They are my greatest joys, even though I sometimes cry
myself to sleep at night in frustration.

The point is, that today I got to watch my children
take another step on the great journey of Life, and I
even got to point out some of the sites along the way.
As challenging as parenthood is, it is also equally
rewarding, because we are using all our wisdom, our
talent and skills to help guide a new person towards a
happy life. A life created by me and my husband.

It is this person, these people, who in turn will use
their gifts to create our future.

So every nursery rhyme I recite, every swing I push,
every little hand I hold is Something.

And I did it today.

And here is another one, that is more on the funny side, but oh sooo true!!! Every husband needs to read this!


A man came home from work and found his three children outside, still in their pajamas, playing in the mud, with empty food boxes and wrappers strewn all around the front yard. The door of his wife's car was open, as was the front door to the house and there was no sign of the dog. Proceeding into the entry, he found an even bigger mess. A lamp had been knocked over, and the throw rug was wadded against one wall. In the front room the TV was loudly blaring a cartoon channel, and the family room was strewn with toys and various items of clothing. In the kitchen, dishes filled the sink, breakfast food was spilled on the counter, the fridge door was open wide, dog food was spilled on the floor, a broken glass lay under the table, and a small pile of sand was spread by the back door. He quickly headed up the stairs, stepping over toys and more piles of clothes, looking for his wife. He was worried she might be ill, or that something serious had happened. He was met with a small trickle of water as it made its way out the bathroom door. As he peered inside he found wet towels, scummy soap and more toys strewn over the floor. Miles of toilet paper lay in a heap and toothpaste had been smeared over the mirror and walls. As he rushed to the bedroom, he found his wife still curled up in the bed in her pajamas, reading a novel. She looked up at him, smiled, and asked how his day went. He looked at her bewildered and asked, "What happened here today?" She again smiled and answered, "You know every day when you come home from work and you ask me what in the world did I do today?" "Yes," was his incredulous reply.
She answered, "Well, today I didn't do it."

No comments: