Sunday, April 08, 2007

And now it's over

Well, Easter is done! Of course, it's hard to tell by the candies laying all over, the toys and other goodies plaguing this place! Poor Sebastian woke up with his eyes gooped shut! I gave him some antihistimine....it got better for awhile. Jeremy's dad and his gf stopped by this morning and brought baskets for the kids. He always buys those premade baskets. This year Seb's was done in a lil wheelbarrow. He got a shovel, rake, little dump truck, bubbles and some of the odd candies they put in those things. Makenneh's was a lil shopping cart with a "barbie", fake nails (grr..like 75 'fashion' nails), fuzzy purse and bunny "ears" headband. Then, we got ready and went to my brothers. My brother and Sara gave Makenneh a bubble machine and Seb a bat/ball set. Then, My uncle John gave them each an easter bucket with a book, stuffed animal and candy/goodies. They made out quite well! More candy than any kids need...lol.

We had a great big huge feast. THe food was yummy and I wish I had some leftovers! After dinner, the guys took the kids to the basement to run off some of their sugar highs. We played a game called Apples to Apples. It was quite fun. Gonna ask for that for my bday or Christmas (i know i won't break down and buy it for myself). Then, we had a bit of a scare. Sara went to the bathroom and then called her mom in there. She went pee, wiped and there was a bit of blood. She wiped 3 more times and each time there was a small trace amount of bright red. She was also having cramping like a period. Her mom thought she could just prop her feet up and relax and be ok. We thought she should call the doctor. To be honest, the cramping really scared me, although I didn't say anything. I just told my brother that they should at least call the doc and see what they say. He called and of course they said she needed to come in. Come to find out, she has a bacteria. The bacteria is always present, but the increase in hormones due to pg cause an overgrowth or something like that and it can't be dangerous. The doc was glad she came in. They did an ultrasound and baby is fine! I am just sooo glad she went in. Her cousin just lost a baby at 19 or so weeks gestation and they found out that it was caused by bacteria and had it gone untreated, her cousin could have died from it as well. I know the hospital is the last place anyone wants to be on a holiday, but it sure beats possible regrets.

In a week we have Makenneh's 4th bday party. She wanted it at my sister's so she could ride the horses, but it's looking like it's going to be cold and if that's the case, i very well may move it to my parents' house, bc my sis has a huge yard (well, 30 acres to be exact) but the house is kinda small. I guess we will just play it by ear and see how it works out.

Oh and guess what?! I got a blessing on Saturday, in my mail box! I was meaning to contact my case worker for my food benefits. We only got $70 a month and that was set from when i was working. Well, we have been really struggling lately and could use the extra food benefits. I am a huge procrastinator, even of things of importance. Well, saturday, i checked the mail and had 2 evelopes from DHS. I was dreading opening them, bc often times, they seem to bear bad news...cutting benefits or tons of paper work to get filled out by everyone and their dog. But, the first one i opened said, "after a review of your case..." and i started to feel ill..."your food beneifts are being increased..." I started to cry. It sounds simple and cheesy, but I felt like I had a guardian angel looking out for me. My 70.00 was deposited on the 3rd and was already spent (didn't get any meat, bc everything i had added up so quick, specially fruits and veggies). So, I decided to call the customer service number on my card and there is just a tad over $400 on there, bc they retro paid. I cried. It is such a blessing. I can now get meats and the things we need for meals, as well as stuff for makenneh's party and not be scraping by to do it.

I never understood why the benefits were cut in half when i took a job, as our papers say that unless we make more than X amount per month, we don't have to report income change. Well, my job still left us under that limit. THe only reason my job was reported was bc it was time for my review. But, we made it through ok...none of us are malnutritioned...even if we did have less than desirable meals at times.

Anyway, enough of airing our financial strains. I so can't wait to get this college degree and leave all of this state help in the dust! It is a great program to help those in need, but it never seems to work the way it should. It seems like those who honestly try to help themselves get punished (or at least, don't receive as much in benefits). I just keep telling myself, 6 more years until none of this will ever matter! It seems like a long time on one hand, but on the other, I know it will fly by fast. I really can't wait to get hte papers in the mail from the college so i can go get signed up! I can't wait to have those books in my hand..along with a nice new book bag.

Well, Sebastian has finally crashed from his sugar high, so i need to get to bed. I don't know how well he will sleep being sick! It's looking like I may have to take him to the doc tomorrow. His poor eyes just ooze green goo. I know it's not pink eye as neither eye is pink, but his eye lids and below his eyes are red and puffy. And his poor little nose runs like a faucet. It is red and raw from being wiped. Poor baby!

1 comment:

Julie Q said...

I woke up with green goopy eyes twice this past week. They were pink too, but it's allergies for me. Yuck! That is why I've givin in to this sickness as allergies. I'm tired of it! And with this cold spring, I think it will just drag it out longer. Ah well, it is Michigan!

I'm glad your benefits were increased. :) I hated being on welfare years ago. We haven't touched it since leaving Alpena 18 years ago. We could have in the winters, but we just struggled through. We were stubborn. :) We left Alpena to get off of it.

I'm so glad you got you got them to call the doctor Christina. :) It is so sad to lose a baby.