Monday, June 19, 2006

First day of work!

My feet are aching. It's been a long time since I had to stand 6 straight hours on my feet on a hard floor. LOL. But, aside from that, my first day went great! I caught on right away to the cash register. I spent most of the day ringing on the till. The other lady who was training today was a bit slower at catching on. I think she might get it, it's just going to take her longer to get it. I have to say this: her and I will probably be the most customer service oriented employees this company has. Or at least this store. The other cashiers do not smile, rarely say a word to the customers and just look all out grumpy. it's pathetic. The one cashier sits with her back to the store, inbtwn customer, playing on her damn cell phone. We are supposed to go to the end of our check out line and wait for customers to invite to our line. It seems all the employees there do just the bare minimum to perform their job duty without losing their job. It's crazy. If you really don't want to be there, don't come to work. In this economy, there are plenty of ppl out there willing to take your place. And it's not the customers' fault that you are having a shitty day or don't like your job or whatever. Your face really won't crack if you give them a smile. You never know, you may just make someone's day! I honestly felt like the bright spot on the front end! I know that sounds conceited, but damn, you have ot see these other cashiers. They all lack customer service skills all the way around. And the girl with the cell phone would be warned to put that in her pocket or leave iti n her purse, car or at home. Then, she would be given the chance to sit on that phone indefinitely, while in the unemployment line.
But, i do like the job so far. I like working with the public. Management, here I come...lol. Can't see having too much competition...those ladies lack any morsel of ambition. I think for some of them, it takes all they have just to breathe.

On another note, I was visiting babyzone (my addiction) and found a post about changes in the internet. THe big corporations are wanting to take over and basically restrict access or something to that affect. Here is a link to a site where you can sign a petition to prevent this from happening. It also gives info on the bill they are trying to pass. Just another way for the corporations to take over the world and screw us poor peons!
http://www.netfreedomnow.org

jeremy is off work for the week....paid! He called his boss and talked to him. he went into the doc today to get checked out and won't know what is going on til later in the week and he is just miserable. so, that part is cool. That is getting paid..not htat he is sick and miserable..lol.

Oh and I don't work again til friday evening! Very Part time. Which is good for getting me into the swing of working again. It's been 4 years!

Ok, off to check mail and stuff!

3 comments:

Julie Q said...

Sounds like it went well. :) Oh I hear you on the cranky cashiers. I know what a hard job it is! And sometimes, you don't get a break for hours on end. But, like you said, if you don't like it, move on. I avoid certain cashiers I know are crabby!

Be sure and invest in a good pair of shoes. If they will let you wear tennis shoes, get some with good support. Or if they won't let you wear tennis shoes, you can get a note from your doctor saying you have to. Even if you have to talk your doctor into writing it. ;) They truly do help your legs, feet and back though. And I've heard support hose can help, but I never tried it.

I didn't know you hung around BZ! I've been there for nearly 6 years now! More in the winter when I'm home alone, but still, I visit daily. :)

JEFFY said...

Wow! You need a good foot massage! A good soak for them too! You ought to get you one of those foot spas. They really are great. I'm so glad you have insight into what a customer needs. Yo have a beautiful smile and I know you will do well. Kiss King

The other me said...

Good for you! I bet you enjoy working more than the miserable ones too, time must go so slowly if you're beingcranky. I hate rude cashiers..grrrrrr!!
That yellow writing was SO hard for my old eyes to read!Great to read such happy stuff though, keep enjoying that job.