Saturday, November 25, 2006

When will this bug go away?!

We are all still feeling a bit blah! I just wish it would go away...i am sick of feeling sick and so tired. And im sick of cleaning up bodily excretions from the kids.

But, we have had beautiful weather the last few days and for that, I am so glad. I can open the window or door and let some fresh air circulate through this virally infected household. Of course, this constant change in weather does nothing for the body but make us sick..the temps are sure to drop drastically again soon!

OOOH, and I finally got another dryer today! I have never been so excited to do laundry. I can't wait for hubby to get it all hooked up. With all of us being sick, specifically the kids, I can't keep blankets and towels clean for anything. And the laundromat is a killer on the pocketbook. Not to mention, who wants to haul laundry when ur feeling like absolute crap and it takes all of your energy just to lift your head?

I am starting to get excited about Christmas. Mostly because i have begun shopping and because we will have enough money to not have to struggle so bad through it. of course there are so many things i would love to get them, but have to draw a line somewhere...for monetary reasons as well as lack of room for all those things.

Makenneh got her first real hair cut yesterday. We had a great outing, just us 2! We went to walmart, got a few gifts and then I got her hair cut. This is the first time she has had her hair cut, aside from a couple little trims I have given her. She did so good. The only thing was when her bangs had to be combed down into her face, causing her to have to keep her eyes closed. She said she wanted to see me. I got her to settle for holding my hand instead. I was sorta bad, bc I didn't save a piece of her hair or take pictures, but it wasn't a planned thing. IT was something that needed to be done and we had the time and i had the extra money. I did save her hair both times i had trimmed it and i had also taken pictures then. So, that will have to do. Maybe tomorrow I will take some pics of her with her new hair cut. It was a subtle cut..just trimmed up and then her sides are cut to kinda flow into the back if that makes sense.

On a sad note, I found out today that one of my cousins hung himself last night. That is just so sad. I don't think I had ever met him but it is still so sad. His wife was the one who found him in the garage. I can't imagine what she had to go through, in finding him like that. One thing i think that makes suicide so much more difficult to deal with is the ones close to him always wonder what they could have done to change things. They always wonder, what if...

I also found out today that a friend of the family had his house burn down wednesday night. I found all this out before noon today.

Btwn this news and the news of my previous co-workers who just lost their baby, i realized that I do have so much to be thankful for. I'm thankful that my kids are hell on wheels. I am thankful for having to chase them out of everything and stay on top of them. I am thankful that they are loud, strong-willed and hell-bent. The alternatives are too sad to think about. I am thankful for this crappy place to live. It isn't special, but it is home and it is shelter. It is far more than some people have. I'm thankful that I haven't ever had to know, nor will I ever have to know what it is like to be truly homeless, thanks to a loving and supportive family that would take me in, if need be. I am thankful for my ability to see through the darkness and find the light. I'm thankful that i have never had to feel so desperate and alone that death seemed my only way out. I am thankful that no matter how down i get, I always know that better times are ahead. Everything always works itself out (Thank you dear Lord). I'm thankful for my faith. While I may not go to church on Sundays, or even read the Bible much at all, I do know that there is a God and that He sent his only son to die on the cross for my sins. I know that He walks beside me and carries me through the darkest parts of my life. I know that He will never leave me alone. I also know that He has prepared a place for me and when my time on earth is up, He will call for me. I will enter His kingdom and spend eternity with Him. I'm thankful for my parents. While they may be perfect (who is?), they love me unconditionally and have saw me through some rough times. They are always there for me and I have learned a lot from them...some that they directly taught and others that I learned from their actions. I am thankful for all the things that I have, because while they may not be the best, it may not be much, it is so much more than some people have. I remind myself often that when I think I have it bad, there is always someone who has it worse.

As the holidays approach, I hope everyone remembers those less fortunate and does something, large or small to help make a difference. We have Christmas trees at work that have little paper ornaments on them. on the ornaments are items written down that children have requested for Christmas from less fortunate families. I have mulled over the idea of taking one, as I always used to do this...even in my teens. After having kids and struggling a bit myself, I wasn't able to a couple times and it really bothers me. i feel that it is important to do something, small as it may be. And if by me making a small sacrafice so a child can have a gift under the tree on Christmas morning, then it's worth it. Some say there is no such thing as Santa, but I believe he lives in each one us. In our willingness to do something to make the holidays a bit brighter for even one person. I decided that my kids will get plenty for Christmas. WE have lots of family that will be buying for them as well as us. I will take an ornament from the tree, because, if i don't I will not have as Merry of a Christmas as I could have. The perfect Christmas for me, would be one in which i had the means to provide Christmas for several families in need. I would love nothing more than to go around on Christmas eve and drop bags of gifts off on the porch of families in need. I wouldn't need any recognition for this...for the reward would be the complete feeling of satisfaction within me. the feeling that I made a difference. When I was younger, i used to tell my mom to take one of my gifts and donate it. I plan to instill this same thing in my own kids. I really think that you do get what you give. Maybe not in the same way. But, I have been bailed out, if you will, in hard times and sometimes it came down to wire before someone/something came through...but it always came through. And i feel that's the "coming back around part."

Ok, Ill leave you all with that thought. Even if it's just taking a tray of homemade goodies to the little old lady down the road....do something nice for someone this holiday season!

1 comment:

Julie Q said...

I believe in Santa too. :)

My daughter gets a name from a tree at college. Last year I helped her buy some things for the girl. This year I hope to do a little more.